stretch marks

Come in and hang-out with the girls! All off topic posts go here.
booboo

stretch marks

Post by booboo » Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:42 pm

Does anyone know how to get rid of them & what to rub on them so they go away? The dark colour part has gone away but they are still there & really obvius! :o :shock: :? :oops: :x
Xarata

Re: stretch marks

Post by Xarata » Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:09 am

I've heard that Mederma scar cream helps and Argan oil (the straight oil) is supposed to help with scars. Some people get them lasered off. This link recommends AHA and microdermabrasion: http://www.getridofthings.com/get-rid-o ... -marks.htm

I've had mine so long, I honestly haven't tried to get rid of them (i grew 11 inches in 6 months when i was 10. I have stretch marks from my knees to my hips- i fully intend to dip my kids in vats of cocoa butter... when i have kids)
Samantha
"Are you a master of your destiny or a slave to your fear..."

Can't live without colors: Highbeam, Homecoming Queen, Sassy, & Cider

http://sapphiresandstilettos.blogspot.com
http://xarataproject.blogspot.com
jamiehout

Post by jamiehout » Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:16 pm

i was really fat now that I have slim down, a lot of stretch marks are visible
booboo

Post by booboo » Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:38 pm

thanks Xarata, I can't afford dermabrasion, but the argan oil sounds good!I envy how you sound so at peace with yours! Mine are all on my tummy, so noone really sees, but one day if I ever have a partner again, I'm so nervous what they might think (I got mine in pregnancy).

Jamiehout, that sucks, but hey, you must have lost a lot of weight & that's good right? Hope the argan oil works for us both :)
karen
Site Admin

Post by karen » Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:54 pm

one day if I ever have a partner again, I'm so nervous what they might think
They'll think "Yippee she's naked!!!" :o

I've had mine since I was a kid too- once they turn silver there isn't much you can do with them without a lot of medical intervention. I prefer to think of them as racing stripes :)
"If it doesn't keep me up at night- it's not worth doing"- Ina Garten
Xarata

Post by Xarata » Thu Dec 23, 2010 6:10 pm

karen wrote:
one day if I ever have a partner again, I'm so nervous what they might think
They'll think "Yippee she's naked!!!" :o

I've had mine since I was a kid too- once they turn silver there isn't much you can do with them without a lot of medical intervention. I prefer to think of them as racing stripes :)
DH husband calls mine my "zebra stripes"
Samantha

booboo

Post by booboo » Sun Dec 26, 2010 2:49 am

thanks Karen, that was so sweet of you :)

You know, it got me thinking, even before I had stretch marks, there was always something I felt disatisfied about my body, eg, wanting to be taller, have bigger boobs, no freckles, ... So even if they go away, maybe I would just look at the next "weakest link" on my body (does that make sense?

so, maybe I have stretch marks, but then everyone thinks stuff like that about their bodies, maybe they have tan lines, or want a tan, want their legs waxed, eyebrows threaded, have scars, noses they don't like, want to be taller, thinner, blonder,... but we don't all have to look the same, we can enjoy how our own body looks without feeling we have to look different than we are.

You know what, I'm just going to like my stretch marks, they are part of me now :)
duhmoms

Post by duhmoms » Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:42 pm

My daughter when she was a teen had a huge growth spurt and has many stretch marks as a result. She has come to accept them and embrace them as part of her uniqueness. As long as you keep the skin moisturized properly they are not so visible. She uses emu oil mostly and cocoa butter on occasion. I have always brought my girls up to be confident in themselves and their bodies, they are so confident in themselves! I am so glad to hear you are ready to accept yourself the way you are...you are unique and beautiful and confidence in that outshines all.
zeebs

Post by zeebs » Mon Dec 27, 2010 6:10 pm

I have some from when I grew hips during puberty. Time is the only thing that really helps, but I have noticed that the better I eat, exfoliate, and moisturize, the less prominent they (and cellulite!) are. Lots of water, raw fruits and veg, try to avoid anything synthetic or sugary. Coffee grounds as a scrub can help the texture a bit too, but the best thing IMO for minimizing their appearance is rich oils like coconut, shea, etc. IDK if the same treatment would work on other places like stomach etc but for me it's just a matter of keeping the skin healthy. Also try to get enough omega-3 fatty acids by eating only free range meats (if you eat meat), wild fish/game, and taking supplements (hemp oil, flax oil, fish oil).

I agree that it's healthiest to embrace ourselves as we are, but at the same time, remembering that marks that are red and inflamed might be a sign of stressed out skin, and to address the stress rather than the appearance is the important thing to me.

Also re: the turning silver thing, mine were silver/white when I was in my early 20's, but they've actually become less prominent with time, so I would say don't throw in the towel, just keep at keeping the skin healthy and persistence may pay off. It has for me.
Xarata

Post by Xarata » Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:54 pm

zeebs wrote:Also re: the turning silver thing, mine were silver/white when I was in my early 20's, but they've actually become less prominent with time, so I would say don't throw in the towel, just keep at keeping the skin healthy and persistence may pay off. It has for me.
Perhaps not the healthiest method, but i noticed mine "bleached out" (from purple to white) in the summer at the beach after i got burnt. I really hated laying out in a bikini as a young teen with all my new zebra stripes going down my legs, but when they turned white i felt better. (of course, now i know that the best chance to minimize them is to treat them when they're still purple. lol) i'm pretty light skinned to begin with so my white stripes aren't that obvious. Bob (hubby) doesn't seem to mind them one bit, and knowing that their existence means i didn't end up a midget seems like a fair trade to me(i was really rather undersized at the time. I remember using the kitchen sink at one point during the growth spurt and realizing that the edge of the sink wasn't under my arm pits anymore and it was nice). I'm happy with my body, and I own the(many) scars the come with it. I earned those scars! lol
Samantha