"Common" search words

Come in and hang-out with the girls! All off topic posts go here.
fjernsyn

"Common" search words

Post by fjernsyn » Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:23 pm

I searched for this topic (heh) and found several mentions of this problem but not a thread specifically dedicated to it or a response from SN.

I'm having a really hard time using this forum because it seems that most things I want to search for fail because the terms are "too common". Just now I was wanting to read everyone's experience with the glow foundation and get suggestions for which blush samples, but both glow and blush are no-go words. Others have mentioned other words like primer and eyeshadow! Those are things I'd like to read about, and I hate that this awesome resource is not able to live up to its full potential because of this limitation. Browsing through the threads is fun when I'm just fooling around, but when I'm having a problem, I can't flip through 30 pages of threads hoping that I find the right thread.

Is there any way to turn off this "feature"? Or even better, to switch to a Google-based internal search that recognized quotation marks and things?
la_canadiense(01)

Re: "Common" search words

Post by la_canadiense(01) » Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:57 am

there is a way around the common words feature, I think it might be to add a * before or after the word...I can't really remember now...
but I know there is indeed a way!!

Was EDM Buff Perfect. Currently, 1:8 Original Ivory, Warm Gold. !!! Loving SN :)
JenW

Post by JenW » Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:20 am

"blush*" returns 213 pages of posts...... :shock: So the asterick at the end does work. Searches are all about starting with the right words. Adding other words in with the word blush will narrow it down a bit. By searching "pigmented blush" you get 49 pages of posts.

If you use the advanced search function, it is even better....you can just search thread titles, or even just the first post in each thread.
Your Silk Naturals Forum Cruise Director!
1Olive:14 Ivory
Faves-
Lips: Maiden & Nectar
Eyes: Phantom, Linen, & Fusion + Tarnish
Skincare: BHA & Awesome Sauce
Email a pic for foundation help: colorquestions dot silkmakeup at gmail dot com
fjernsyn

Post by fjernsyn » Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:23 am

Ah, good to know. It would be great to see that in a sticky or something...maybe it's already there, I couldn't find it.

So now that I know that, I resumed my search that I was trying to do last night, for "favorite blushes". If I just do *favorite *blushes I get a ton of replies where someone happens to use the word favorite and someone else happens to use the word blushes, totally unrelated to it. So then I did the search for those words in the thread title and got one result, a thread about SN favorite blushes. For today, this is fine. I've found a few suggestions for what to put in my cart. But I know that's not the only time the phrase "favorite blush"/"favorite blushes" is used on the forum. I just did a Google search of this forum and found about ten different instances of people just mentioning in passing that x is their favorite blush. That's so useful! I'd love to see that functionality built in.

But, for anyone who is able to find this thread, to use Google search within the Silk Naturals forum, type into the the Google.com search bar:

"the phrase you want to search for" site:http://host.silknaturals.com/forum