My art!

Come in and hang-out with the girls! All off topic posts go here.
meheeeen

My art!

Post by meheeeen » Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:33 am

I wanted to share my art with you guys. Everything that's been professionally photographed so far is on my art blog, which can be found at http://meheeeen.blogspot.com or if you prefer deviant art, you can check http://meheeners.deviantart.com.

But just for you guys, I'll post a few cell phone pics into this thread of stuff that's recently finished or still a work in progress.

this is my favorite painting EVER! It's really large too, I wanna say 4 feet tall and maybe 2 1/2 to 3 feet wide. (I need to actually measure it, that is a very rough estimate.)

I really like this one too, it's also large, about 3' square.

This is a self portrait and not a picture of the finished one. Finished it has some more definition and the shape and likeness are much closer to how I really look. Right now though it's hanging at the local library as part of a show so I can't get it photographed until that comes down.

Thanks for looking! and I wanted to ask, think I should make an etsy shop? I have tons of framed older art that I need to photograph that is just gathering dust.
karen
Site Admin

Re: My art!

Post by karen » Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:37 am

Those are fabulous!!! If you don't start some sort of store you'll always wonder what could have been. Listing fees can be a bit steep, but you'll learn tons. The other thing you could consider is something like a Cafepress store where you put your art on t-shirts and coffee mugs. They do all the work and send you checks (there's a bit more involved but that's the gist of it). Your items may be a bit highbrow for that, but it's something to ponder as a way to pay the bills while making art. I did t-shirts for a while- it was fun!
"If it doesn't keep me up at night- it's not worth doing"- Ina Garten
egerandi

Post by egerandi » Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:10 am

Just wanted to say that I really like the middle one with the monkey. Great colors!
JenW

Post by JenW » Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:40 am

Very cool. I also saw your illustration on the contest thread. You have some talent! I agree with Karen that you ought to try selling it. I am one that is more a crafter...and I know there is a fine line between creating and enjoying it, and stifling the creative process by feeling you have to produce. Hopefully, you can find an outlet that works well with your process of creation.
Your Silk Naturals Forum Cruise Director!
1Olive:14 Ivory
Faves-
Lips: Maiden & Nectar
Eyes: Phantom, Linen, & Fusion + Tarnish
Skincare: BHA & Awesome Sauce
Email a pic for foundation help: colorquestions dot silkmakeup at gmail dot com
superwahz

Post by superwahz » Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:04 pm

Nice work! I too think your illustrations under the makeup thread are awesome! Do you have any paintings of elephants? I have a thing for them lately... :P

If art is a passionate hobby for you, a little shop on the side could be fun! If you're wanting to do it as a profession, then a shop is probably even more of a necessity. Have you ever done commissioned work? Some people really love having an artist do work on commission, especially budding artists because usually they are a little more affordable. But that all depends on whether you paint on a whim, or can create with a specific result in mind. Your animals painted on the wall of a child's bedroom would be incredible!

I have a good friend who is a spectacular artist but won't pursue it as a career because she's afraid turning it into work would kill her love of it. It's kind of a mixed bag, some people thrive doing their passion for work, others fizzle... I hope you thrive! :D
Taking joy in living is a woman's best cosmetic. ~Rosalind Russell
meheeeen

Post by meheeeen » Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:33 am

Thanks everyone! I didn't expect such a warm response.
I'm actually in a youth gallery right now called Youth Arts Collective (website is http://yacstudios.org) and I've sold a good amount of pieces through them. Last year during the winter art show I sold 3 really big paintings and made the same I make after 3 paychecks at my part time job. (I almost fainted to tell you guys the truth!)
I was thinking of putting up an etsy shop to sell all of my older and unsold work, do some closet cleaning if you will. I don't have any aversion to making money off of art, I mean, hey, if it makes someone happy and they're willing to pay money for it, it's theirs! I love the idea of art as an investment too. You get to live with it and see it every day and it brings something unique to your home, and changes you as a person too.

@ superwahz, I really try to stay away from commissions for now because I am reeeally bad with deadlines when people give me freedom. I do all my essays and projects days or the night before they're due, even if they get assigned months in advance. For really creative stuff I'm not sure if I would be good with commissions, but for other types of art I think I'd be better. I'm actually looking into scientific illustration. I took some anthropology courses and was really interested in drawing out all the skulls and fossils, and when I showed them to my professor he said it's something I should look into.

Right now, I'm going to go through and photograph everything I want to sell and get it up on etsy (and also my blog).
JenW

Post by JenW » Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:04 am

meheeeen wrote:
Right now, I'm going to go through and photograph everything I want to sell and get it up on etsy (and also my blog).
Make sure you add a link to your blog and etsy in your signature for this forum! (and all other forums you visit if it does not violate their TOS)
Your Silk Naturals Forum Cruise Director!
1Olive:14 Ivory
Faves-
Lips: Maiden & Nectar
Eyes: Phantom, Linen, & Fusion + Tarnish
Skincare: BHA & Awesome Sauce
Email a pic for foundation help: colorquestions dot silkmakeup at gmail dot com
meheeeen

Post by meheeeen » Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:28 pm

Will do!

Just updated both the blog and my deviant art, check both the links in the first post for the professionally photographed shark, gelada baboon, and many others.
meheeeen

Post by meheeeen » Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:20 am

Just put up a couple of paintings on Etsy if anyone is interested in checking them out.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/meheeeen
meheeeen

Post by meheeeen » Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:03 am

Thought I would post this, kind of a work in progress that I'm doing.
http://i34.tinypic.com/28br8rk.jpg

It's the two girls from my contest entry here. I wanted to really do it justice.