No shampoo water only hair care?

Come in and hang-out with the girls! All off topic posts go here.
Cupcake

Re: No shampoo water only hair care?

Post by Cupcake » Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:32 am

Silverfern wrote: But my hair is blue in my dreams.
Oh me too! I've never had the courage or competence to try anything racier than boring blonde, but I'd love the blue. I think the Blue Fairy in Pinocchio had an effect on me as a youngster. Amazing!
nfig

Post by nfig » Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:44 am

I tried the conditioner-only route (as well as Wen) and my oily scalp likes suds. I did this for about three weeks and found that I had a thick layer of product build up no matter how well I rinsed. I do use SLS-free shampoo now but don't really notice a difference if I use a shampoo that has sulfates.
zeebs

Post by zeebs » Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:17 pm

Cupcake wrote:
Silverfern wrote: But my hair is blue in my dreams.
Oh me too! I've never had the courage or competence to try anything racier than boring blonde, but I'd love the blue. I think the Blue Fairy in Pinocchio had an effect on me as a youngster. Amazing!
Okay so I've never had blue hair, but last time I went to get my hair dyed at the salon, I told my stylist she could pick my colors, and she chose this deep purple and a blond highlight and it turned out awesome! It looked like an ashy brown but up close you could tell it was purple. I bet you could find a deep blue that would have the same effect.
lilychemgirl

Post by lilychemgirl » Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:06 pm

My dh (41) basically hasn't shampooed his hair since he was 18. He rinses with water and occasionally massages aloe vera into his scalp, leaves overnight and then rinses. His hair looks clean, and doesn't smell (well, it smells like hair, but it doesn't stink). Also, both of his brothers and his father are bald, and he has very thick healthy looking hair, with only the faintest traces of gray. I have long blonde hair, and my scalp gets really oily, so I haven't been brave enough to go shampoo free. I use an SLS free shampoo, but I think I might try just doing the conditioner only thing. I just don't want to go out looking greasy and gross, lol.
I only shampoo my daughters hair occasionally (maybe once a month or so) and do the occasional conditioner only clean in between. They have gorgeous silky hair and smell delicious :)
Mineral makeup addict, Mama to three amazing girls, loving wife to Tom ♥
melon

Post by melon » Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:16 pm

tizzylou wrote:I have conditioner only washed off and on for the better part of 2 years. When I do use shampoo I use a SLS free shampoo, and have used several both from etailers on Etsy and drugstore or health food store available. I wear my hair in a chin length tapered bob and have to have it trimmerd every 3 weeks to be able to manage it from the growth. The long hair community is a great palce to start as they have lots of information. Conditioner only washing, but it does work. I will confess, I don't fight with my stylist, she shampoos my hair every 3 weeks, I figure that only once every 3 weeks probably isn't going to cause that many problems. Any cheap silcone free conditioner will work, or Sally's beauty supply sells a product called Hair One that is similar to WEN at very reasonable cost. I agree with Karen in that I think that this is a better way to go than just water only.
I can recommend Hair One from Sally's. I've use both this and Wen, and while Wen smells nicer, Hair One does just as good a job at a fraction of the cost. I'll be using this from now on. Definitely worth a try.
la_canadiense(01)

Post by la_canadiense(01) » Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:30 am

I also do conditioner only, off and on for about a year. Once in a while I will use an SLS and cone free shampoo, depends on how my hair feels that moment. I don’t think I could bare the water only route, mostly for the stinkiness of it. I love how my conditioner smells (Aubrey Organics, GPB one) and it keeps that smell till I wet it again. Only ‘clean’ (conditioner only) my hair every 2-3 days max, other times I will just put it up under a shower cap. My hair just doesn’t get greasy, not sure if that is good or bad, but they last day I get those funny hair pains, where because it has been in one position too long (typically a braid on the last day), it hurts when I take it down and brush it out (Please don’t tell me no one else gets these funny hair pains).
But I think it depends a lot on one’s hair type if this can be pulled off. My mom tried it and she said her hair was so greasy she couldn’t stand it, but then again she never pushed through the greasy stage, which will happen for the first month or so till you hair compensates and doesn’t get so greasy.
I have not noticed my hair growing faster. In fact, I have been losing masses of hair lately, not sure why. It is freaking me out. I have DH looking for balding spots everyday, thank god nothing yet, but I don’t know why I am losing so much hair. Anyhow, I just changed back to my favourite conditioners (the Aubrey one and the Silk one by Giovanni). I use those both every time I clean my hair. The silk one makes my hair so soft and easier to comb through, that might have been the problem before, the conditioners I was using didn’t make my hair slip enough, so maybe they were knotting more…? Not sure…

Was EDM Buff Perfect. Currently, 1:8 Original Ivory, Warm Gold. !!! Loving SN :)
karen
Site Admin

Post by karen » Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:41 am

Could it be traction alopecia? When you pull your hair back frequently (to the point where it hurts) it can cause it to fall out. It happens to ballet dancers quite a bit.

I'm still working on those files...for some reason Acrobat keeps locking up my computer, but I'm working on it.
"If it doesn't keep me up at night- it's not worth doing"- Ina Garten
lilychemgirl

Post by lilychemgirl » Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:52 am

I don't get those funny hair pains...
Mineral makeup addict, Mama to three amazing girls, loving wife to Tom ♥
lwoodall10

Post by lwoodall10 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:07 am

I get those funny hair pains...glad I am not the only one. My husband thinks I am a nut when I tell him my hair hurts :lol:
karen
Site Admin

Post by karen » Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:26 am

"My husband thinks I am a nut when I tell him my hair hurts :lol:"
You're a few steps ahead of me....my husband thinks I'm a nut when I'm awake ;)
"If it doesn't keep me up at night- it's not worth doing"- Ina Garten