Need Foundation Help? Please post here.......

Here's a chance to ask makeup mavens about color selection! You can easily add your picture to posts, and get help with all of your specific makeup questions.
Emma321

Re: Need Foundation Help? Please post here.......

Post by Emma321 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:54 pm

JenW wrote:
Emma321 wrote:Hi there! I just got my foundation samples today and am wondering what ratios you would suggest? I have a cool skin tone, brown eyes, auburn hair. I purchased the original Ivory Sample Kit. Also the cool HD in a few shades. Thanks in advance!
Hi Emma 321!

I did see your picture. I think start with Ebony at about a 1 scoop color to 6 scoops white.
Would I use the same ratio for the vegan foundation? Thanks!!
JenW

Post by JenW » Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:12 am

Emma 321: Yes, the ratio will be very close.
Your Silk Naturals Forum Cruise Director!
1Olive:14 Ivory
Faves-
Lips: Maiden & Nectar
Eyes: Phantom, Linen, & Fusion + Tarnish
Skincare: BHA & Awesome Sauce
Email a pic for foundation help: colorquestions dot silkmakeup at gmail dot com
JenW

Post by JenW » Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:15 am

asrsquared- The easiest place to start is the Original sample kit. I can't really tell if you will be an Ebony or an Olive. The Original formula is the most forgiving in color, and also in going on in light layers.
Faves-
Emma321

Post by Emma321 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:58 pm

I just made a batch, lighter than normal as I loose my summer "tan". I noticed the color is now too orange for me. I did not quite 1.5 ebony to 10 white. It's still a little dark. Any suggestions?

JenW wrote:Emma 321: Yes, the ratio will be very close.
JenW

Post by JenW » Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:08 am

Emma321 wrote:I just made a batch, lighter than normal as I loose my summer "tan". I noticed the color is now too orange for me. I did not quite 1.5 ebony to 10 white. It's still a little dark. Any suggestions?

JenW wrote:Emma 321: Yes, the ratio will be very close.
More white.
Faves-
goldentomato

Post by goldentomato » Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:30 am

Hi, I wear MAC's NC42. Which cream foundation shade should I try? Thanks!
JenW

Post by JenW » Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:27 pm

goldentomato wrote:Hi, I wear MAC's NC42. Which cream foundation shade should I try? Thanks!
Are you more golden or neutral?

One of those 2 in the 50-60 range, maybe 70. I think. I can only guess with MAC as I have not seen their product.
Faves-
Loonii

Post by Loonii » Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:14 pm

Many thanks for my haul! I have received the N40 HD cream foundation and it is just about right, however it is a little more yellow than I was expecting. It matches my chest pretty well at the moment but my face is a different colour from my neck and body. I think it may work in the summer when I am much more tan but I think for the rest of the year I may need to use some lavender color corrector to tone or possibly use the N30.

I am wondering if the N30 is less yellow?

also I love the Medium Peach Sleep in the Jar so far. Which HD cream concealer would be closest to this.

for reference the Brightening Concealers are all wrong on my skin. The BC#3 is too dark gold and the BC#4 is too dark and too orange.

I think I do better with slightly peachy concealers as long as they are not too light or too dark.

I wonder about P40, P50, P60 and how they compare to SIAJ Med Peach and BC#4. I don't want anything as dark as BC#4. Keep in mind that I am probably between a N30/N40. I also wondering how the HD #4 and #5 cream concealers compare or are they too yellow? I like to use a concealer around my lips and nasolabial folds as well as my eyes to conceal the darkness in this area. So would rather have something more neutral, less yellow, perhaps similar to SIJA medium peach?

thank you so much in advance for your advice.
JenW

Post by JenW » Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:59 am

For fine tuning like that, I recommend sampling. I do think P50 will be the closest to Medium Peach Sleep in a Jar.

I do think there will be less yellow in the N30. But it is hard for me to tell even from pics if it will solve the problem. Real life is so different! I am pretty good at giving ideas for a close match, but not fine tuned as I can't be with you in person!
Faves-
Loonii

Post by Loonii » Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:42 am

thank you Jen. I think I may need the C30/40 and N30 as the N40 is too yellow on me. I have added some ivory and lavender to tweak the HD N40 and that looks better. I was once told by a makeup artist that although I am definitely med-olive (tan-olive in summer), anything too yellow or warm seems to go even warmer and darker on me. Lavender correctors are awesome and I do seem to look healthier with a cooler neutral. I don't wear heavy coverage so a slightly lighter and cooler foundation seems to look best. In the summer, I look best with even less foundation and usually just around my eyes and nose/mouth.

and I think I may get the P40 and P50 concealer as I am sure both would be useful. I like both the Light-Peach and Med-Peach Sleep in a Jar samples. However, the Brightening Concealer samples I have are way too golden to use as concealer on me so I have been using them as eyeshadow.

BTW I really like the Glow Foundation sample. It is lovely to add a little soft glow and highlight.
JenW wrote:For fine tuning like that, I recommend sampling. I do think P50 will be the closest to Medium Peach Sleep in a Jar.

I do think there will be less yellow in the N30. But it is hard for me to tell even from pics if it will solve the problem. Real life is so different! I am pretty good at giving ideas for a close match, but not fine tuned as I can't be with you in person!