A few questions about lip & foundation products.

Post your favorite tips and tricks, FOTD's, and swap foundation recipes!
Toby

A few questions about lip & foundation products.

Post by Toby » Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:01 pm

Hi folks,

It's been a long (long!) time! My makeup preferences have changed in the, erm, several years since I've purchased Silk Naturals lip products, so while my lip wardrobe is full of stunning reds, purples, blues, and greens, I am shockingly lacking in more neutral lip colours.

I'm light-medium East Asian neutral with olive undertones, tanning to slightly more golden and neutral-brown undertones during the summer - MAC foundations in general tend to look orange on me but I'm about an NC25 in depth (my perfect match is Mac F&B C3 mixed with the very, very olive Koh Gen Do Aqua 213 in an approximately 1:1 ratio - a bit more C3 during the summer).

I'm looking for more neutral lip products at the moment - products that are either VERY NUDE (I sometimes use foundation over my lips) or very soft, sweet warm pinks and rosey pinks - basically, lip products that will go well with a stronger eye (I do a lot of red eyeshadow, or grungey mustard or olive eyes). No shimmer, please!

Also, a question about the formulas - I tend to prefer products that aren't too soft & slippy, and one difficulty I had with darker colours in Silk Naturals' old lipstick formula was that they tended to slide off my lips. Is the newer lipstick formula any more solid than the previous formula?

I'm also curious about the HD Cream Foundation & am thinking about picking up a few samples. Any suggestions for what undertone (golden or neutral) & depth I should try out?

Thanks for the help! :)

ETA: mauvey & plummy neutrals tend to be quite aging on me, so even though I, for whatever reason, tend to be more attracted to them than pinky nudes, I just end up not looking great. :(

ETA 2: I can't use the ALG formula at all because of the menthol, which BURNS MY LIPS OFF, which is a bummer because Blushberry is one of my favourite Silk Naturals ever.
JenW

Re: A few questions about lip & foundation products.

Post by JenW » Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:59 pm

I think Neutral and Golden. 20-ish range for the HDC foundation.

For lips, AuNatural VLS (velvet lip stick), and maybe Camisole. the Velvet Mattes have pretty good staying power. At least try one.

Maiden and Soft Kisser Slicker.
Your Silk Naturals Forum Cruise Director!
1Olive:14 Ivory
Faves-
Lips: Maiden & Nectar
Eyes: Phantom, Linen, & Fusion + Tarnish
Skincare: BHA & Awesome Sauce
Email a pic for foundation help: colorquestions dot silkmakeup at gmail dot com
Toby

Post by Toby » Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:33 pm

These are great suggestions, Jen, thanks. :) You're always so lovely & helpful. I worry that Maiden is too shimmery for my tastes, but I've popped the other suggestions into my cart.

I wonder if the 20-ish range would be too pale for me, since the site says the light shades are very light?

Thanks again! :)
JenW

Post by JenW » Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:05 pm

20 will be the lightest......I think you are right. 30 will be spot on, and 40 with some sun.

I don't find Maiden very shimmery, but I generally don't mind a small amount.
Your Silk Naturals Forum Cruise Director!
1Olive:14 Ivory
Faves-
Lips: Maiden & Nectar
Eyes: Phantom, Linen, & Fusion + Tarnish
Skincare: BHA & Awesome Sauce
Email a pic for foundation help: colorquestions dot silkmakeup at gmail dot com