Foundation Recipes :-)

Post your favorite tips and tricks, FOTD's, and swap foundation recipes!
JenW

Re: Foundation Recipes :-)

Post by JenW » Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:28 am

pipari wrote:Hi again! Could you please advise me how to make All Purpose base equal to HD Cream Foundation Neutral 20-30?
You will most likely have to use olive at about 1 scoop color to around 10-15 white.
Your Silk Naturals Forum Cruise Director!
1Olive:14 Ivory
Faves-
Lips: Maiden & Nectar
Eyes: Phantom, Linen, & Fusion + Tarnish
Skincare: BHA & Awesome Sauce
Email a pic for foundation help: colorquestions dot silkmakeup at gmail dot com
pipari

Post by pipari » Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:59 am

OMG. Does this mean I should have used Olive instead of Ebony all along :shock:
Ebony seems so red on me. HD looks better in neutral than cool.
Im not so cool after all :D

So I made a batch of Heavy foundation and Olive (ran out of All Purpose sample and wait for my refill bag to arrive), but the ratio was lower than ten scoops white I think. I think this suits me so much better. I have more red than yellow skin but the pinkiness is something I want to hide not highlight. Now my neck and face look more the same colour than with Ebony.
The name Olive with description 'greenish undertones' and 'for Mediterranean skin' fooled me completely.

Well, it's winter and very dark here so I don't know what it will look in sunlight outside. We'll see towards the spring..

Thank you again Jen!
ralphi

Post by ralphi » Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:23 pm

Just ordered the sample kit and can't wait to start mixing! I've been wearing sunscreen religiously and now my current foundations are way too dark. Alima Golden 0.5 (a mix of 0 and 1) used to look pretty good.

I could use some help, though, as I've always been impossible to match. In some lights I look quite yellow, but in others I look more neutral...

My skin is a little redder than usual due to Retin A (which is also why I'm not including my face). My neck is probably close to my normal face color. I've swatched the HD Cream foundation in one pic; it's a mix of G20 and G30.

Thank you!
Attachments
Natural light
Natural light
P1140684.JPG (65.46 KiB) Viewed 31323 times
Strong natural light with HD Cream G20 and G30 mixed.
Strong natural light with HD Cream G20 and G30 mixed.
P1140688.JPG (68.54 KiB) Viewed 31323 times
Next to a window (strong natural light)
Next to a window (strong natural light)
P1140676.JPG (70.35 KiB) Viewed 31323 times
JenW

Post by JenW » Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:36 pm

ralphi-

I do think you are more neutral than yellow/golden. However, I would start with Buttery Gold, mostly because the yellow will dilute the quickest (Yes, the colors don't all decrease the same as you add more white base.)

Try Buttery Gold 1 scoop color to about 12+ white for starters. If that does not work, we will adjust.
Faves-
mikinishida

Post by mikinishida » Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:17 am

Not sure where to start the foundation mix. I ordered all purpose white as the base. I used to use butterly gold with medium coverage, but it looks too red on me for some reason. I use NC25 from Mac Mineralized liquid foundation, and this is a good match.
Attachments
CAM00276.jpg
CAM00276.jpg (211.66 KiB) Viewed 30487 times
JenW

Post by JenW » Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:54 am

mikinishida-

Buttery Gold is probably right. I think you will be 1 scoop color to around 8 scoops of white. Can you tell me what you did for your recipe? Because it looked too red to me says that you need more white in your recipe. The numbers I gave are general, and since you mentioned that you are using All Purpose, I would guess the number to be even a little higher for white scoops.
Faves-
Talfryn

Post by Talfryn » Fri Jan 01, 2016 7:53 pm

I recently received my sample kit for the All Purpose Foundation. I put off mixing up a batch, but now I am so glad I did! I used 1 scoop Buttery Gold, 1 scoop Warm Gold and then 10 scoops All Purpose Ivory. It looks really good - I asked my son what he thought and he replied that he didn't think I was wearing any makeup!

I have pale-ish but yellow skin - I have never been able to find the right foundation shade in the past. This is just wonderful!
JenK

Post by JenK » Sat Nov 05, 2016 10:43 am

Hi!
I just started wearing makeup on my face after a few years... Other than concealer as needed. In the past, I wore the all purpose foundation. I made up a mix based on my past formula... About 11.5 white, 1 olive and a 1/4 of buttery gold. I can't get past how light it looks in the container. I have light-medium skin neutral with slight golden beige/ yellow undertones.
Does the all purpose tend to look lighter than the other formulas in the container? I think it looks ok on my skin, a bit light and may need more beige/yellow, but I can't past how light it looks in the jar. Makes me think I must look like a ghost:)
Thanks!!
JenW

Post by JenW » Sat Nov 05, 2016 5:02 pm

JenK wrote:Hi!
I just started wearing makeup on my face after a few years... Other than concealer as needed. In the past, I wore the all purpose foundation. I made up a mix based on my past formula... About 11.5 white, 1 olive and a 1/4 of buttery gold. I can't get past how light it looks in the container. I have light-medium skin neutral with slight golden beige/ yellow undertones.
Does the all purpose tend to look lighter than the other formulas in the container? I think it looks ok on my skin, a bit light and may need more beige/yellow, but I can't past how light it looks in the jar. Makes me think I must look like a ghost:)
Thanks!!
You can't really tell by looking at the jar color. It is all about how it wears on your face. I do think the All Purpose does look whiter in the jar, though. It all has to do with the brightness of the minerals in the base and the opacity. Sheerer minerals might look a little darker at a similar ratio.
Faves-
JenK

Post by JenK » Sun Nov 06, 2016 10:19 am

Thanks Jen! I forgot how nice this formula works for dry, flaky skin with fine wrinkles/lines. Color is a good match:) I just use a dusting on my whole face and conceal with it as needed ( looks great under eyes and doesn't sink into lines). Looks super natural:))) Me, but a bit better!
Thanks!!!