Need Foundation Help? Please post here.......

Here's a chance to ask makeup mavens about color selection! You can easily add your picture to posts, and get help with all of your specific makeup questions.
ss-b-ss

Re: Need Foundation Help? Please post here.......

Post by ss-b-ss » Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:28 am

Hello, help me, please, choose the right formula basis to the make-up. I bought the Original Ivory Sample + Jar and Ivory Sample Kit. and a little confused, I do not know where to begin and in what proportions. I'm afraid to spoil stuff :). Advise me please.
IMG_3375.jpg
IMG_3375.jpg (18.42 KiB) Viewed 4259 times
JenW

Post by JenW » Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:30 am

ss-b-ss wrote:Hello, help me, please, choose the right formula basis to the make-up. I bought the Original Ivory Sample + Jar and Ivory Sample Kit. and a little confused, I do not know where to begin and in what proportions. I'm afraid to spoil stuff :). Advise me please.
One posting is enough. We do moderate a few of the posts of new users just to be sure you are here for makeup advice and not to try and sell us all something! I usually approve those posts within 24 hours.

I think Warm Gold will probably be your best bet. I would try 1 scoop of color and about 8 scoops of white. Let me know how it goes.... If this blend is not right, we can always try something else if you can explain the problem.
Your Silk Naturals Forum Cruise Director!
1Olive:14 Ivory
Faves-
Lips: Maiden & Nectar
Eyes: Phantom, Linen, & Fusion + Tarnish
Skincare: BHA & Awesome Sauce
Email a pic for foundation help: colorquestions dot silkmakeup at gmail dot com
JennaR

Post by JennaR » Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:55 am

I got my samples in the mail this week and haven't had much time to try them out. I did mix 1 ebony with 6 ivory though. It's good, but not quite right. It looks ok if I just apply one light layer, but when I start building on that, the color is off. I think I need a little tiny bit of yellow but I'm not sure. I want to take pictures, so what's the best way to do that? Inside? Outside? Direct sunlight? Indirect sunlight? Should I take one with a bare face and then one with the foundation I made?
JenW

Post by JenW » Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:54 am

JennaR wrote:I got my samples in the mail this week and haven't had much time to try them out. I did mix 1 ebony with 6 ivory though. It's good, but not quite right. It looks ok if I just apply one light layer, but when I start building on that, the color is off. I think I need a little tiny bit of yellow but I'm not sure. I want to take pictures, so what's the best way to do that? Inside? Outside? Direct sunlight? Indirect sunlight? Should I take one with a bare face and then one with the foundation I made?
Really at this stage in the matching, a picture may not help much. With all the light variations out there, a picture only gives me a close approximation of where to start. All the fine tuning has to be done in person, because a picture won't likely pick up those slight variations. If you feel it needs yellow, I would try adding some.

We can try a picture, though. I would try some kind of sunlight that is indirect. Earlier in the day is usually better. If you have trouble uploading to the forum, I can pm you an email address.
Faves-
JennaR

Post by JennaR » Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:01 pm

A PM would be great! I'll e-mail you the picture.
denise

Post by denise » Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:41 pm

Hello! I tried the SN foundation (Original formula) back in June and I found my color (with the help of you, Jen, thanks!) it was a really good match! You suggested Olive at 1:10 to 12 (in the vegan formula you said). But I ended up with 1: 12 in the Original formula. (I believe it was 12, since I didn't write it down....)

now I'm commiting to the full size and going to buy the All-Purpose Starter Kit with the Olive base and I want to ask: will I need a different ratio? because it's a different formula than the Original which I had bought (or the Vegan etc.) --- I don't think so but I'm asking just in case, you are the expert. =)

also, You don't suggest I get a second colored base, do you? Like a yellow booster etc? Thanks!

Outdoors, natural light, in the shade: (My forehead is darker than the rest of my face.)

Please see my photos in my first post!!!?
http://host.silknaturals.com/forum/view ... 396#p30396

Two more, with flash:

one more question about the Glow Foundation Base: Will the teaspoon sample bag be enough to put it into the foundation (into the 30gram jar of foundation)? Or will I have to get the 1 tablespoon bag? I probably only need a little bit, right?
These are all taken in winter, so I'm not tanned. :) I would appreciate your insight, before I place my order. =)))
JenW

Post by JenW » Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:14 pm

denise-

I would still stick with Olive. I don't see much in the way of yellow in your skintone in the pics. I think All Purpose usually takes less white (it has been a while since I mixed up my shade in this base...). Try it at 1:8. If it is too dark, add more white.... Matching the jars side by side won't work. They will need to be tested.
Faves-
denise

Post by denise » Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:20 am

JenW wrote:denise-

I would still stick with Olive. I don't see much in the way of yellow in your skintone in the pics. I think All Purpose usually takes less white (it has been a while since I mixed up my shade in this base...). Try it at 1:8. If it is too dark, add more white.... Matching the jars side by side won't work. They will need to be tested.
Thank you very much, I'll try a 1:8 ratio.

about my question for the Glow Foundation Base: 1. Will the teaspoon sample bag be enough to put into the foundation (into the 30gram jar of foundation)? Or will I have to get the 1 tablespoon bag?

I probably only need a little bit, right? ..like 1 scoop, or is that too much, for a dewy finish? I guess I'll have to assess that myself.

2. (The teaspoon sample isn't available to add to my cart, by the way. :// )
http://host.silknaturals.com/creb/glow- ... -1066.html
JenW

Post by JenW » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:34 am

denise-

check here
http://host.silknaturals.com/creb/intro ... p-564.html

The amount of glow base differs according to personal preference. I can't see it being much more than 1/3 of the recipe (mine is 2 scoops out of the 14 white I need...). I also advise against mixing up a whole jar worth with summer coming up, especially if your color changes in the warmer months.
Faves-
JennaR

Post by JennaR » Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:22 pm

:D Thanks for all your help, Jen. I ordered an Olive starter kit in All Purpose. Something in the original ivory irritated my skin a little, but I don't think it's in the All Purpose. 1:12 was a little too light I think, and 1:8 was too dark, so I'll keep playing with the ratio. I don't want to mix too much up because summer is just around the corner.