Need Foundation Help? Please post here.......

Here's a chance to ask makeup mavens about color selection! You can easily add your picture to posts, and get help with all of your specific makeup questions.
JenW

Re: Need Foundation Help? Please post here.......

Post by JenW » Tue May 24, 2011 4:05 pm

denise wrote:
JenW wrote:denise-

Olive in the vegan formula at about a 1:10 to 12 should be a very good match. I don't think you will need the Green Booster.

For concealer, I usually recommend a heavier foundation, but if you are wanting vegan, that won't help. In all actuality, the difference of the brush used (use a concealer brush instead of a kabuki or flat top) and it applies the foundation a little heavier than it will on the other areas of your face. It is definitely worth a try.
Thank you, I have ordered the Original formula. =)) So I'm guessing the ratio of the Ivory will be more? (than the vegan formula) Also, is 1 scoop a full scoop (like a little "mountain") or a level scoop? :D

Your suggestion is great, about using a concealer brush with the foundation to spot conceal. Yay!!! Hope it works! ^^
Scoops are all level....and the ratio will still be within a scoop or so.
Your Silk Naturals Forum Cruise Director!
1Olive:14 Ivory
Faves-
Lips: Maiden & Nectar
Eyes: Phantom, Linen, & Fusion + Tarnish
Skincare: BHA & Awesome Sauce
Email a pic for foundation help: colorquestions dot silkmakeup at gmail dot com
denise

Post by denise » Tue May 24, 2011 4:32 pm

JenW wrote: Scoops are all level....and the ratio will still be within a scoop or so.
oh thanks for clearing that up!!!
sunflower1983

Post by sunflower1983 » Sat May 28, 2011 12:43 am

Hi Jen,
I need your help in finding the right foundation shade. The seller suggested I should use Warm Gold with the ratio of 1:10. I'm using Medium Coverage type. I've tried mixing with different ratios ranging from 1:7 to 1:10, but none of them seems right for me. My skin is very oily with large pores. Though I apply just a little bit of foundation, everyone tells that it looks like I'm wearing heavy make-up. I want to look natural. Here are two pictures of me, one outdoor and one indoor (with sunlight). Thanks
Attachments
IMG_1949.JPG
IMG_1949.JPG (82.84 KiB) Viewed 2958 times
IMG_1945.JPG
IMG_1945.JPG (134.37 KiB) Viewed 2958 times
JenW

Post by JenW » Sat May 28, 2011 7:08 am

sunflower1983 wrote:Hi Jen,
I need your help in finding the right foundation shade. The seller suggested I should use Warm Gold with the ratio of 1:10. I'm using Medium Coverage type. I've tried mixing with different ratios ranging from 1:7 to 1:10, but none of them seems right for me. My skin is very oily with large pores. Though I apply just a little bit of foundation, everyone tells that it looks like I'm wearing heavy make-up. I want to look natural. Here are two pictures of me, one outdoor and one indoor (with sunlight). Thanks
Can you explain a little more about what looks wrong? Is it just that it goes on too heavy, or that the color is wrong? Is it a little of both?

If the makeup seems to go on heavy in spots, you might not be applying it as lightly and evenly as you could. You could try tapping the excess powder off of your brush before applying on your face to get light, even layers of makeup. If you do apply the powder in the way I mentioned, it may be that Medium Coverage is too heavy for you, and the Original Coverage would be a better as it is lighter weight.

Here is an idea of what to look for in color, and how to go about changing. Does it seem redder than your skin (too much red)? Or not yellow enough? I do think you are probably closer to 1:7 in Warm Gold. If the color seems too yellow, try Olive at about 1:12. If it seems too red, try Buttery Gold at about 1:6.
Faves-
sunflower1983

Post by sunflower1983 » Sat May 28, 2011 11:55 am

Hi Jen,
Thanks for your prompt reply. Maybe the wrong color makes other people think that I'm wearing heavy make up. I myself think that the make-up is light and not cakey at all. I find Warm Gold a bit too pink for me. I will try Buttery Gold as you suggested. Can I add a bit BG to my current foundation to make it more yellow?
spard28

Post by spard28 » Sun May 29, 2011 5:28 pm

I'm new to silk naturals and i just received my sample kit...unfortunately i'm not the best at figuring out my foundation shade -_-
I mixed 7 ivory to 1 scoop buttery gold to 1/2 scoop ebony which is a pretty good match but i feel like it's a tad dull.
I was trying to get it close to my color in BE which is Fairly Light and compared to my SN mix it seems more yellow peachy.
My skin tone is light with neutral undertones. I've been colored in MAC previously as NC 25 and most recently NW20 so my undertones seem to be right in the middle (i don't know if that helps).
anyway is there something i'm missing or does SN tend to be more muted in comparison to BE?

i can try to post a pic if it helps :)
Thanks in advance<3
carro

Post by carro » Mon May 30, 2011 9:32 am

In the Winter I am quite pale and have always considerd my skintone as a cool one. But lateley I have thought that maybe that´s not quite true? Maybe I am more of a neutral? I don´t think I have any strong yellow undertones but the pink is maybe just "surface-redness".

As I am surrounded with a bunch of experts here at the forum I thought I might ask You what You think my undertones are, looking at some photos taken during summer, with a little bit more color to make up a mind about.

They are a few years old and I don´t have that platinum blond hair (thank god!) anymore, just my natural blond hair.
One is with makeup (and not enought shine control :oops: ) and one is without make-up.

I have all base colors at home but I find it very difficult to decide undertones. What do You think ebony or what?

Thanks
Attachments
make up.jpg
make up.jpg (76.02 KiB) Viewed 2993 times
no makeup.JPG
no makeup.JPG (40.63 KiB) Viewed 2993 times
JenW

Post by JenW » Tue May 31, 2011 10:04 am

sunflower1983 wrote:Hi Jen,
Thanks for your prompt reply. Maybe the wrong color makes other people think that I'm wearing heavy make up. I myself think that the make-up is light and not cakey at all. I find Warm Gold a bit too pink for me. I will try Buttery Gold as you suggested. Can I add a bit BG to my current foundation to make it more yellow?
The only way to make your current mix more yellow and keep the right depth will be to add Yellow Booster plus white. Depending on how much you had mixed of the Warm Gold Blend, you will spend a good deal of time adjusting the color, and then you won't be able to replicate it very easily. I think you are better off to mix a new batch with Buttery Gold and see what happens. If it is too yellow, you might need a mix of the two mixes.
Faves-
JenW

Post by JenW » Tue May 31, 2011 10:12 am

spard28 wrote:I'm new to silk naturals and i just received my sample kit...unfortunately i'm not the best at figuring out my foundation shade -_-
I mixed 7 ivory to 1 scoop buttery gold to 1/2 scoop ebony which is a pretty good match but i feel like it's a tad dull.
I was trying to get it close to my color in BE which is Fairly Light and compared to my SN mix it seems more yellow peachy.
My skin tone is light with neutral undertones. I've been colored in MAC previously as NC 25 and most recently NW20 so my undertones seem to be right in the middle (i don't know if that helps).
anyway is there something i'm missing or does SN tend to be more muted in comparison to BE?

i can try to post a pic if it helps :)
Thanks in advance<3
Some use a mix of Warm Gold and Ebony that were BE Fairly Light, in about the same ratio subbing the Warm Gold for the Buttery Gold. Me, I use Olive, and I would have been a Fairly Light. Buttery Gold/Ebony has very little peach, if any, since you seem to be missing the peach component, and some don't need the Ebony at all...... What I am trying to say is that BE Farily Light is more of a catch all color than what we have here. I would try Warm Gold 1:8 on its own first...then see if it needs to be more neutral. At that point, I would add a half scoop Ebony and another 2 scoops of white. It is also possible that a 1:10 ratio of Olive and White will work.
Faves-
cait

Post by cait » Tue May 31, 2011 10:33 am

Hi, Jen,

I have a quick mixing question. I've been wearing the All Purpose foundation for a while and love it :D
I want to add some of the zinc powder into my mix, and since I am unfortunately bad at math and don't want to screw up my mix, I wanted to ask and be sure. I don't want change the coverage too too much, but want it a little lighter weight, so maybe 2-3 scoops? I don't know how much that changes my ratio. Right now, I use 14 APF:1 Olive:1 Yellow CB: a tiny bit of Green Color Booster (less than 1/2 a scoop).

Thanks! :D