Self Tanner

la_canadiense(01)

Self Tanner

Post by la_canadiense(01) » Tue May 03, 2011 9:17 am

Hi ladies, Can anyone say whether the self tanner is pregnancy safe?

thanks!

Was EDM Buff Perfect. Currently, 1:8 Original Ivory, Warm Gold. !!! Loving SN :)
karen
Site Admin

Re: Self Tanner

Post by karen » Tue May 03, 2011 2:03 pm

Congrats! I just did some digging- and some folks say yes, others say no. Most of the sites I'm seeing say that it's fine- Wikipedia info on DHA didn't mention any adverse effects to fetuses, and mentioned that it didn't absorb past the upper layers of the skin.

It's a pretty simple ingredient, and a pretty simple chemical reaction that takes place- it's essentially a carbohydrate that turns your skin brown the same way an apple turns brown. They actually used to use it as a children's medicine waaaay back in the day (that's how it became a self tanner- the nurses noticed that it stained the skin around the kid's mouths, and they started smearing themselves with it).

I'm always a little hesitant to declare something pregnancy safe- I'm just not a doctor. I'd give 'em a call and ask, or bring it up at your next appointment just to be on the safe side.
"If it doesn't keep me up at night- it's not worth doing"- Ina Garten
la_canadiense(01)

Re: Self Tanner

Post by la_canadiense(01) » Wed May 04, 2011 6:46 am

Thanks Karen,

Well I only have 7 more weeks to go so I can probably hold out, but might still use it a couple times so I look all glowy in the pics :)

Was EDM Buff Perfect. Currently, 1:8 Original Ivory, Warm Gold. !!! Loving SN :)