Need Foundation Help? Please post here.......

Here's a chance to ask makeup mavens about color selection! You can easily add your picture to posts, and get help with all of your specific makeup questions.
KerryB678

Re: Need Foundation Help? Please post here.......

Post by KerryB678 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:27 pm

Hi there!! I'd love to see if you could help me find my match. I'm pretty sure in these pictures I'm just wearing a light layer of mineral veil, or at least something incredibly sheer (hello, freckles!). Sorry the pics are sorta creepy, lol.. I was testing out a new camera.Currently in EDM I'm using Fairly Light Semi-Matte, in Bare Escentuals I wear Golden Fair, or sometimes Light if I have a tan, MAC NC20, or N2 in Face & Body. My face has always been fairly forgiving when it comes to foundation shades, I'm just awful at figuring out my undertone. I do tend to get some redness around my nose & mouth mainly due to allergies. Thank you in advance!! :) Also, I do tend to get dry around my nose & mouth as well, so I'm not sure if I should go with the All Purpose.. and I do like somewhat of a natural glow to my foundation, not super matte.
DSCN0353 (Medium).jpg
DSCN0353 (Medium).jpg (43.77 KiB) Viewed 3685 times
DSCN0356 (Medium).jpg
DSCN0356 (Medium).jpg (42.73 KiB) Viewed 3684 times
Kerry & David.jpg
Kerry & David.jpg (33.72 KiB) Viewed 3684 times
JenW

Post by JenW » Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:12 pm

KerryB678 wrote:Hi there!! I'd love to see if you could help me find my match. I'm pretty sure in these pictures I'm just wearing a light layer of mineral veil, or at least something incredibly sheer (hello, freckles!). Sorry the pics are sorta creepy, lol.. I was testing out a new camera.Currently in EDM I'm using Fairly Light Semi-Matte, in Bare Escentuals I wear Golden Fair, or sometimes Light if I have a tan, MAC NC20, or N2 in Face & Body. My face has always been fairly forgiving when it comes to foundation shades, I'm just awful at figuring out my undertone. I do tend to get some redness around my nose & mouth mainly due to allergies. Thank you in advance!! :) Also, I do tend to get dry around my nose & mouth as well, so I'm not sure if I should go with the All Purpose.. and I do like somewhat of a natural glow to my foundation, not super matte.
I would try Warm Gold or Olive. Warm Gold at about 1:8 (1 scoop color to 8 white) or Olive at about 1:12.
All Purpose with a few scoops of the white subbed with Glow base should be about right.
Your Silk Naturals Forum Cruise Director!
1Olive:14 Ivory
Faves-
Lips: Maiden & Nectar
Eyes: Phantom, Linen, & Fusion + Tarnish
Skincare: BHA & Awesome Sauce
Email a pic for foundation help: colorquestions dot silkmakeup at gmail dot com
cosmeticcosmos

Post by cosmeticcosmos » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:50 pm

I am trying to dupe my old EDM Foundation. I used to use Fairly Summer and Light (Golden). Usually I mix them together or just use Fairly Summer alone. Any ideas on how to recreate this color?
JenW

Post by JenW » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:52 pm

cosmeticcosmos wrote:I am trying to dupe my old EDM Foundation. I used to use Fairly Summer and Light (Golden). Usually I mix them together or just use Fairly Summer alone. Any ideas on how to recreate this color?
I am not familiar with those colors, but I am guessing they are in the Warm Gold range. Try a 1:8 or 9 ratio.
Faves-
la_canadiense(01)

Post by la_canadiense(01) » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:46 am

JenW wrote:
la_canadiense(01) wrote:Thanks Jen!!

I thought it was ninety something but couldnt remember exactly!!

I guess I could have worked it out but my math skills are not so great!
You are very welcome. I always try to add in how we got to that number....sometimes it sticks in the brain better if you kind of remember where the number came from.

(Plus, I should think about adding that number somewhere permanent...where were some of the places you checked first?)
`
I actually was sure that it was this thread but when I searched there were too many results and I couldn't figure out how to find it!! Maybe the first post of this thread? And also maybe in the main store just on the front page for Foundations? or maybe it would be too much including it there.
or maybe on the actual page where you add the foundation to your basket, under additional information it could be added maybe?

or like me, someone will ask every once in a while!!

Was EDM Buff Perfect. Currently, 1:8 Original Ivory, Warm Gold. !!! Loving SN :)
shellbell

Post by shellbell » Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:53 pm

I need help finding a match please! I don't know what base colour(s) to try or what my colour ratio should be. :?
I'm planning on trying the vegan foundation. My skin is pretty messed up... in the pics added my face is pretty clear, but in the last half year I've gotten acne again (sensitive/acne-prone skin), so I'm not sure if a certain base type is best for my skin (vegan/original/medium). My face is very often red/pink because while other people blush, my whole face turns red, but I'm not sure if that makes a difference for the right shade (I tried to find pics without redness, just the indoor ones are slightly). Also, I don't think I've ever had a tan, I just burn, and I have really sensitive skin. Sorry if I wrote too much, I'm clueless about my colour/tone!

...I believe I'm either wearing no foundation or just a translucent powder for all the pictures.

outdoors

outdoors

indoors

indoors
JenW

Post by JenW » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:57 am

shellbell wrote:I need help finding a match please! I don't know what base colour(s) to try or what my colour ratio should be. :?
I'm planning on trying the vegan foundation. My skin is pretty messed up... in the pics added my face is pretty clear, but in the last half year I've gotten acne again (sensitive/acne-prone skin), so I'm not sure if a certain base type is best for my skin (vegan/original/medium). My face is very often red/pink because while other people blush, my whole face turns red, but I'm not sure if that makes a difference for the right shade (I tried to find pics without redness, just the indoor ones are slightly). Also, I don't think I've ever had a tan, I just burn, and I have really sensitive skin. Sorry if I wrote too much, I'm clueless about my colour/tone!

...I believe I'm either wearing no foundation or just a translucent powder for all the pictures.
I think you are going to like Olive the best, and it might help a little with the blushing. The only other one I can see is possibly Buttery Gold (1:9). I think Ebony will be too flat, and Warm Gold too red for you. In Olive try about a 1 scoop color to about 15 white. It will seem pale. I think good possibilities for your white base are Vegan and All Purpose. Both are vegan.
Faves-
shellbell

Post by shellbell » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:12 pm

JenW wrote: I think you are going to like Olive the best, and it might help a little with the blushing. The only other one I can see is possibly Buttery Gold (1:9). I think Ebony will be too flat, and Warm Gold too red for you. In Olive try about a 1 scoop color to about 15 white. It will seem pale. I think good possibilities for your white base are Vegan and All Purpose. Both are vegan.
Thank you so much! I would have never figured that out on my own :)
konayuki

Post by konayuki » Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:45 pm

Hi, can you please help me? I just ordered a sample kit, but want to be sure before it gets here.

I did use Bare Minerals Medium Beige, but I don't think that was a perfect match for me, some pictures look fine, some look like I have white ash on my face! I've also tried EDM Medium Beige Neutral. I think it's a better match, but I don't think that's a perfect match for me either, and I tried emailing them for suggestions but never got a reply back. :cry:

Makeup counters do tell me Medium Beige, but I'm not sure exactly what this means, and sometimes I feel I look lifeless. I have no idea what undertone I am. I like the idea of Silk Naturals better, I can mix the formulation exactly to my skintone! But not knowing my undertone, I'm just so confused. I guess I'm still pretty new to the makeup scene, only wearing it for the last two years or so. My skin can be very oily but in the winter can get very dry. I have post-acne red marks, occasional breakouts, and moderate scarring. I do tan, but I also burn, especially on my nose and cheeks. I'm very frustrated, what would you suggest?? Thank you very much! I'm attaching a photo of me in various lights and angles.

Help is greatly appreciated!
Attachments
Photo Reference :)
Photo Reference :)
makeuppictucopy.png (262.36 KiB) Viewed 3725 times
JenW

Post by JenW » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:52 pm

konayuki-

I would try our Olive or Warm Gold. Most Medium Beige colors are not very much on the warm side, and you definitely are. This is part of the reason you feel the Medium Beiges make you look lifeless. In Olive, I think your ratio will be about 1 scoop color to about 8 white...in Warm Gold about 1:4 or 5. Some of the ash white in photos has more to do with the fact that some minerals don't photograph well. Hopefully, you will find a better match! Let me know if you need help adjusting from here.
Faves-