Tinting Zinc Powder

Here's a chance to ask makeup mavens about color selection! You can easily add your picture to posts, and get help with all of your specific makeup questions.
stefami

Tinting Zinc Powder

Post by stefami » Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:06 pm

This might be a question best answered by JenW, but anyone is welcome to chime in.

So I really like using the zinc powder as a finishing powder after my mineral makeup, but it's leaving a slightly whitish cast on me, especially since I've been spending a lot of time outside this summer. Of the tinted perfecting powders, Love Lure (golden tan) looks the best on me.

So if I were to use the Foundation colors to tint my Zinc Powder, which of the colors will give me a result closest to Love Lure? Olive or Ebony? Olive tends to be too neutral on me, but I worry that Ebony will end up too pink. Thanks!
JenW

Re: Tinting Zinc Powder

Post by JenW » Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:32 pm

Probably Olive will do the job the best for you. If you did think it too neutral, you could always add something else, too.
Your Silk Naturals Forum Cruise Director!
1Olive:14 Ivory
Faves-
Lips: Maiden & Nectar
Eyes: Phantom, Linen, & Fusion + Tarnish
Skincare: BHA & Awesome Sauce
Email a pic for foundation help: colorquestions dot silkmakeup at gmail dot com
zeebs

Post by zeebs » Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:19 pm

I just tinted my zinc powder today. I needed to mix it a little warmer than I do foundation; seemed like the zinc wanted to absorb a lot of color and it would go on the face way deeper in color than it looked in the jar. I ended up mixing in some highlighter powder the color of my skin (similar to Splendid but from another brand) to increase the opacity of it b/c I couldn't get it just right.

I think that mixing 2:1 ratio zinc:perfecting powder would be my approach next time.
sewwies

Post by sewwies » Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:33 pm

I find I have to mix it a lot lighter! I mixed the zinc with some base on a sailing trip when I was low on foundation and popped up on deck and my stepmum said, "Whats wrong with your face?!"

I was mixing in bad light which didn't help but its made me paranoid so I mix it about half as light as my foundation - which is just off white... then bronze my cheeks. I'm not so brave!
~~Sarah~~