suggestions for skin care?

hmmiller

suggestions for skin care?

Post by hmmiller » Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:07 am

I have really dry acne prone skin. I was wondering what was the best products to use that would help acne but also help prevent flaking and shrink pores. I also have a really weird skin problem on my cheeks. I think its keratosis pilaris but not 100% sure. Its like I have really tiny miniature red bumps all over my cheek. Its a real pain to cover with makeup. I have had it my whole life so I really have no hopes of curing it, just something that would reduce the severity. Its kind of rough because every morning I wash my face to prevent acne but it just irritates my keratosis pilaris and makes it really hard to cover with makeup. Thanks!

JenW

Re: suggestions for skin care?

Post by JenW » Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:54 am

The best thing I know of for KP is the BHA toner. I imagine the KP is the origination of your acne woes, too. Can I ask what you are currently using?

Please try samples and work products in slowly so that you will know the reason if you have a not so good result with a product. A good routine for acne prone dry skin........

Cleanse with Apricot Cleansing Oil or KISS cleanser (a foamer bottle is a must)
Tone with BHA...probably at night, start with every other day, and you might be able to work up to every day. Cut back if your skin starts feeling on the angry side. Tone with Pore Refining Toner in the day.
Treat with Green Tea and Aloe serum.
Moisturize with Hemp Moisturizer.

It is possible that the moisturizer may be too light. I know that our Lavendar or Olive Oil lotions make good face moisturizers, too.
Your Silk Naturals Forum Cruise Director!
1Olive:14 Ivory
Faves-
Lips: Maiden & Nectar
Eyes: Phantom, Linen, & Fusion + Tarnish
Skincare: BHA & Awesome Sauce
Email a pic for foundation help: colorquestions dot silkmakeup at gmail dot com
JenW

Post by JenW » Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:59 am

I may not get back to this thread for a few days.....hopefully others will add their ideas. I am camping with the scouts this weekend.
Your Silk Naturals Forum Cruise Director!
1Olive:14 Ivory
Faves-
Lips: Maiden & Nectar
Eyes: Phantom, Linen, & Fusion + Tarnish
Skincare: BHA & Awesome Sauce
Email a pic for foundation help: colorquestions dot silkmakeup at gmail dot com
hmmiller

Post by hmmiller » Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:13 am

Well I finished a treatment of accutane for my acne a couple of months ago. I have been using cetaphil face wash because I needed something gentle. I used clinique dramatically different moisturizing lotion but I just ran out of that so now I am using nuetrogena oil free moisture for sensitive skin. Right now my skin is very clear with a few minor pimples but I want to be preventive in case my acne comes back. My pores are huge, which i think is just because the accutane dried me out so much. Will the BHA toner dry me out more?
Rhys

Post by Rhys » Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:11 pm

I don't think so, but if your skin is that dehydrated, I'd use the Green Tea and Aloe morning and night (give the BHA toner 15 minutes or so to work first) after the toner to put some water back into it, and then apply moisturiser after the GT&A.
karen
Site Admin

Post by karen » Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:32 pm

I'd say with KP and just coming off Accutane with no active breakouts just do the Green Tea and Aloe for the moment, then the BHA sometime when you feel like you need it. The Hemp Moisturizer is a nice one too...hemp oil has some components to help restore your skin barrier a little.
"If it doesn't keep me up at night- it's not worth doing"- Ina Garten