Makeup advice for Redness

Post your favorite tips and tricks, FOTD's, and swap foundation recipes!
fifteen

Makeup advice for Redness

Post by fifteen » Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:52 am

Hi y'all,

I'm looking for some help on deciding whether or not mineral makeup will be good for me in particular. I have skin issue- either rosacea or keratosis pilaris- that makes my face red and consequently hard to cover. Currently I use Everyday Minerals which I'm not the biggest fan of. I have also use BE which I liked at first but didn't care for later on. They both made me look cakey and they didn't go on evenly which made me look blotchy. Also because of my skin issues sometimes I have blushing problems and when I blush with the makeup on that would make my skin look even blotchier.

Anyway I'm just wondering if you guys geniunely think that Silk Naturals mineral makeup would provide the very heavy coverage I need without looking cakey. Or would a liquid makeup be better? I prefer the idea of a mineral, because it just seems easier to apply but I'm not sure which is better for me. The reviews on this makeup are great but often I find that the people who review are not people with serious skin conditions that are hard to cover. So hopefully someone out there knows something about this.

I'm really desperate to find a makeup that can hide this redness. Any recommendations or tips for hiding the redness would be so appreciated. Really, I'm a little lost about makeup for someone with my skin...concealer?, foundation?, primer?

Thanks,
scapegrace

Re: Makeup advice for Redness

Post by scapegrace » Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:15 pm

I pm'd you with some details, but I forgot to mention that Unblush concealer is a must as well :) After I've applied foundation I dust this anywhere I feel is too red and it neutralizes it nicely without making me look ashy or :mrgreen:
Autumn

Post by Autumn » Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:50 pm

scapegrace wrote:I pm'd you with some details, but I forgot to mention that Unblush concealer is a must as well :) After I've applied foundation I dust this anywhere I feel is too red and it neutralizes it nicely without making me look ashy or :mrgreen:
2nd the Unblush. It nuetralizes your whole face but does not look green. I use it under my foundation (and after my sunscreen moisturizer).

What are you using for skin care? Once I had my skin care routine tweaked and finalized, things improved.
royalgoddessbeth

Post by royalgoddessbeth » Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:33 am

I use the Ultra Sheer Zinc Powder with both Yellow and Green corrector pigment mixed into it. The zinc calms redness, has some other benefits I can't mention without Karen getting in trouble, and the added pigments do help neutralize my rosacea. It is also the best primer I've tried, buttery soft, adds "coverage" in a sheer, understated sort of way, and helps combat the oilies as well as the OCP that Karen sells. My opinion, of course, but it's a fantastic multitasker. I've been using Karen's products for over two years now.
SN addict par excellence!
Favorite Blushes: Foxxy, Climax, Cider and Jamie
Favorite Lipstick: Negligee
Primer/Foundation/Finishing Powder: I'm a mad scientist!

I would join a 12 step program for my SN addiction, but 12 steps are for quitters!
SouthernGal

Post by SouthernGal » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:33 am

As a fair gal with severe acne, I deal with redness and scarring (red & purple) everyday. :( My approach is to first treat and calm the skin, then cover the worst areas.

For treating/calming you could try one of these:
Ultimate Luxury Treatment Powder
Zinc Powder
Silk Powder

(I personally love the Ultimate luxury Treatment the best. It really calmed down a lot of the inflammation and makes my skin feel smoother and softer. I apply it twice a day with a fluffy brush.)

For coverage:
Unblush Concealer &
Heavy Formula Foundation, applied with the flat top brush.

Also, a good consistant skin care routine helps.

I personally have used both BE & EDM as well, and was equally unimpressed, by the way. ;)
Pomi

Post by Pomi » Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:06 pm

I have had rosacea problems for years as well, and SN is the best I've found so far.
I've changed my skincare routine completely and that surely does help a lot with the redness, but make-up-wise, the Zinc Oxide, Unblush and Heavy foundation are the best help.
Now I can get away with only Zinc and my Medium/Heavy mix applied with the Kabuki brush.
Good luck to you ;)
ladydi

Post by ladydi » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:00 pm

I have rosacea so there is redness. I love love love the Zinc powder for calming and soothing the redness and the ultimate luxury powder for feeding my skin. I use the Zinc before my base in the morning and the ultimate at night after cleansing. today I ran out of my base and went back to my EDM base. Wow! what a dif. The finish wasn't near as nice as the SN base. Silk Nat is so much nicer than the EDM. I can't believe how different it was going back. Tomorrow I'll mix a new batch of SN and get back to my routine. My skin is so much calmer and clearer using sn than any thing else I have ever tried.

Get some samples and see what happens. The risk is minimal and the samples are a great bargain. You will be super happy with SN.
Best of luck
meheeeen

Post by meheeeen » Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:00 am

I have some redness as well and I find that even original can help to neutralize it a little and even out my skin. I had been having oil problems but I tweaked my skincare and went back to SN and it stayed matte for a good 5 hours even without a finishing powder.
So if you haven't already, try some of the skincare treatments SN offers, they might work.
karen1950

Post by karen1950 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:41 pm

keep the recom coming! Thank you!
lilychemgirl

Post by lilychemgirl » Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:00 am

I love the heavy coverage, it is just gorgeous, and way way better than everyday minerals, but it is not super heavy coverage personally (I have acne scarring on my cheeks, which is really hard to cover) I would quite like it to be a little heavier. It is really natural coverage though, and never cakes, even around the corners of your nose (where practically everything else cakes on me) or on zits.
I haven't used the unblush or anything like that, as I only have horrible purply acne scars, not actually any redness.
HTH
Lily
Mineral makeup addict, Mama to three amazing girls, loving wife to Tom ♥