Hair help

egerandi

Hair help

Post by egerandi » Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:53 pm

Got my hair cut shoulder-length again and been enjoying the wave gel for loose waves. My routine: soap nut cleanse + argan or cranberry conditioner. Let it air dry almost all the way, then mix 4 drops of the SN hair oil with a pea-sized amount of the wave gel, then crunch, tousle, crunch crunch. It looks pretty when it's done, but it doesn't last. The wave starts hanging looser and looser after a couple of hours and the shine is gone.

Should I try to re-shine when it's all dry? Keep a bottle in my purse to re-vet periodicaly? Some good natural hair spray? I'm considering it cutting above shoulder next time, although I doubt it's the 'heft' that's pulling it down. I have baby hair :)

Any suggestions on making it last would be welcome :) My hair is pretty fine and has natural kinks in it (if I don't blow dry) but usually doesn't hold the curls much, so I may be just wishful thinking...
cclee00

Re: Hair help

Post by cclee00 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:02 am

I would actually love to hear if this could be resolved, as I've decided to stop fighting with my lazily wavy hair and go with the curl - I was hoping the Make Waves would be my low-effort curl enhancer (God forbid I go out without makeup, but my hair has to take care of itself).

My guess would be to try spritzing a little water on your hair and rescrunching? The product page says "for second day hair just spritz a little water on." I was just looking at the Strawberry Spritz and it even mentions you can use it in your hair, so maybe that could be a justification for another order? ;)
Caroline

Makeup junkie extraordinaire and geek
egerandi

Post by egerandi » Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:27 pm

I need to give my trusty toner a break, so I ordered the strawberry spritz - we'll see.

I did make a little change last time, and it seemed to help, but still not perfect:

I add 4-5 drops of oil to my hair (not on top of my head) while still damp, then I apply a pea size and scrunch. When it's almost dry, I apply another half a pea of gel with 2 drops of hair oil, and scrunch again. I also spray this with my toner. It lasted longer this time and was more defined. I'll keep experimenting, I'll use a bit of hair spray next time too.
crimsonshedemon

Post by crimsonshedemon » Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:56 am

Using a firm hold gel over the top will hold your hair. Wait until it's completely dry, then scrunch out the scrunch by gently cupping the dry crunchy hair. You can use a few drops of oil, rubbed between your hands or use a small amount of conditioner.

A great gel is LA Looks Sports Gel or the LA Looks Nutra Curl gel.
egerandi

Post by egerandi » Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:40 pm

crimsonshedemon wrote:Using a firm hold gel over the top will hold your hair. Wait until it's completely dry, then scrunch out the scrunch by gently cupping the dry crunchy hair. You can use a few drops of oil, rubbed between your hands or use a small amount of conditioner.

A great gel is LA Looks Sports Gel or the LA Looks Nutra Curl gel.
Will that make my hair look wet though? I would prefer natural dried look with bouncy waves (hehe, don't we all) instead of dried looking ringlets, which is what my experience is with gels. Maybe I was doing it wrong?
kchalbi

Post by kchalbi » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:34 pm

I make a gel from flax seeds that works well on my curls for hold without the wet look. I just got Making waves and have been layering them together and so far liking the combo. I think I've tried just about every hair product ever made, from low end to high end, and the flax gel works really well if you're up for a little DIY. There are many different recipes, check the forums on naturallycurly.com.
crimsonshedemon

Post by crimsonshedemon » Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:10 am

If you scrunch out the crunch, you won't have that wet look. Once your hair is dry, take a couple drops of oil, conditioner, whatever and gently scrunch out the crunch.
You'll have to play around with how much product you need and application technique.

I use gel daily and never have the wet look.

Homemade flaxseed gel is great too. I add agave or honey for some hold. It's cheap, very easy to make. Only downside is that it can't sit on your counter. Needs to be refrigerated.

Also if your hair is fine, try adding more protein. Fine hair loves protein. I use some protein daily and a protein treatment about once a week.