skin care advice needed please

dmkuk

skin care advice needed please

Post by dmkuk » Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:58 pm

Hi there

I am 31 and since having my daughter 2years ago, my skin type has completely changed and i am still trying to suss things out. The problems i have are:

red scars from spots
cystic spots (time of the month spots)mainly on the chin and cheek area
face feels tight/dryness after cleansing
skins tends to flush/redness/blotchiness (face is paler than my neck, so the redness is noticeable)
skin feels sore (due to cold weather)
foundation does not last on skin so redness shows through

I am also still trying to find my HG in the foundation, but find the foundation just sits in my skin (trial and error with mixing). i have been using LUSH skincare (UK based company) (aqua marina - cleanser, breath of fresh air - toner, imperialis - moist)but have not seen any difference in my skin.

I am after advice for a whole new skin care range, so cleanser, toner, serums, moist, masks, treatments.

Before having my daughter, i would have said my skin was oily/combination but now not sure what it is...

i feel i want my skin to feel calmer and comfortable.

thanks in advance
JenW

Re: skin care advice needed please

Post by JenW » Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:04 pm

It does sound like your skin needs a break. I would start with very simple things.....like cleansing, a basic serum and even just an oil for moisturizing. Did you develop other sensitivities since giving birth..like to foods? Scents? Perfumes? Any allergies?

Whatever you do, you need to take it slow...start with a cleanser and moisturizer. What did you use before giving birth? Once your skin stops being so reactive, then add things in. And then we can address treating the other things. It makes no sense to start with a complicated treatment routine if you don't have a cleanser and moisturizer that are working.

I looked up the cleanser you have been using. With the reaction you mentioned to it, I think you are going to have to drop this for something else, even if you don't end up using something from us. There are several things in their line you could be reacting to, and I think it would be hard to pinpoint if it was the essential oils, perfumes, or salts and preservatives. Those things are not necessarily bad, but there is definitely something that is not working for you. In our line I would recommend either of the cleansers...the KISS cleanser works best for normal to oily, and the Apricot Cleansing Oil is best for normal to dry (but neither is limited to those groups as it is still dependent on your skin.) Since you seem very sensitive right now, I would not try the KISS cleanser unless you used it in very small drop-sized amounts with water added or with a foamer. The Apricot Cleansing Oil is likely the best one to try first.

For a basic moisturizer, our Olive Oil Moisturizer would work for a while, but might not be where you will stay. If it does not work for your face, it makes a great purse sized hand lotion, too. The ingredients are very basic, so it is a good place to start until your skin calms down.

Next, I would add in the Green Tea & Aloe Serum. This goes on after cleansing and before moisturizing.

If you want a mask, the most basic for reactive skin is the Oatmeal Milk & Honey. You could do that one a few times a week.

Your skin sounds pretty dehydrated...which will be addressed by the serum, but you may end up needing a different one than I recommended. The other one that might work is the Oatmeal Serum.

I know I did not give much in the way of treatment, but I really think basic is the place to start for a few months. I am more than happy to recommend further things to try once your skin calms down a bit. And if it doesn't calm down, we can work on another approach.
Your Silk Naturals Forum Cruise Director!
1Olive:14 Ivory
Faves-
Lips: Maiden & Nectar
Eyes: Phantom, Linen, & Fusion + Tarnish
Skincare: BHA & Awesome Sauce
Email a pic for foundation help: colorquestions dot silkmakeup at gmail dot com
dmkuk

Post by dmkuk » Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:39 am

wow..
thanks for such a detailed reply

in answer to your question;

no - my skin did not get sensitive during the pregnancy or after, i had lots of spots during the pregnancy and my skin got a lot worse during the last month of the pregnancy too. Before i was pregnant i was using skin care range from lush for oily skin.

It never occurred to me to give my skin a break, i was not sure if my skin was dry or sensitive. Even when i have no more makeup on my skin looks red/sore..so its made choosing a foundation pretty difficult.

Thanks Jen, i shall order some samples,
one question i have is when i apply the serums, should my skin be wet or dry beforehand?
JenW

Post by JenW » Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:40 am

Serums are water based, so a little dampness to the skin will not hurt, but it can also be dry and they might actually sink in a little better. Moisturizers are best applied to damp skin, though.
Your Silk Naturals Forum Cruise Director!
1Olive:14 Ivory
Faves-
Lips: Maiden & Nectar
Eyes: Phantom, Linen, & Fusion + Tarnish
Skincare: BHA & Awesome Sauce
Email a pic for foundation help: colorquestions dot silkmakeup at gmail dot com