Diluting serums

cclee00

Diluting serums

Post by cclee00 » Sat Jun 07, 2014 4:04 pm

I currently use a light hydrating toner (I mixed rosewater, aloe gel, and glycerin in a spray bottle) as my morning summer moisturizer for my oily skin. I was wondering, would it be okay to add one of the moisturizing serums to it? I have some of the green tea and aloe serum that I thought about adding. Also, would it be possible to add some of the AHA or BHA to it? I know the acids are more tricky but it's so convenient and low maintenance! ;)
Thanks!
Caroline

Makeup junkie extraordinaire and geek
JenW

Re: Diluting serums

Post by JenW » Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:29 pm

The moisturizing serum might work. Start small and see how it comes out (one pump of serum plus an ounce of your hydrating toner). I can't guarantee it won't be a flop, but it might be worth a try. The only thing that would concern me would be the oil coming out of the gel phase of the serum and sitting on the top. Another thing......I do feel that the serums will work best in their own step. However, I can't stop you from experimenting.

The problem with AHA and BHA is that they are very pH dependent. When volumes and ingredients change, the pH will be somewhat affected and thus it will drastically change what the toners do. In order for them to do the job they are supposed to, they need to be used as their own step.
Your Silk Naturals Forum Cruise Director!
1Olive:14 Ivory
Faves-
Lips: Maiden & Nectar
Eyes: Phantom, Linen, & Fusion + Tarnish
Skincare: BHA & Awesome Sauce
Email a pic for foundation help: colorquestions dot silkmakeup at gmail dot com
cclee00

Re: Diluting serums

Post by cclee00 » Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:43 pm

Okay thanks! I'll keep them separate then - you have a good point. :)
Caroline

Makeup junkie extraordinaire and geek