If you could redecorate one room in your home right now...

Come in and hang-out with the girls! All off topic posts go here.
zeebs

If you could redecorate one room in your home right now...

Post by zeebs » Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:35 pm

...what room would you choose and how would you decorate it?
Xarata

Re: If you could redecorate one room in your home right now...

Post by Xarata » Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:40 pm

My basement- my workshop is down there but it's not a finished basement. I painted the walls and laid down an area rug but i would love for it to have a ceiling and a real floor, insulation, a ceiling light, and wall outlets. 'course we'll never do it because we rent.
Samantha
"Are you a master of your destiny or a slave to your fear..."

Can't live without colors: Highbeam, Homecoming Queen, Sassy, & Cider

http://sapphiresandstilettos.blogspot.com
http://xarataproject.blogspot.com
JenK

Post by JenK » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:04 pm

My house is from the 1830's so this is a tough one. B/c of its age we don't have much storage. I would love to turn the walkup attic into to a GIANT California Closet.
Cheece

Post by Cheece » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:34 pm

The bedroom!

We desperately need a new bed for starters...

I'd rip out the built in robes (they weren't built with the house, someone has built them in, so the light is off centre, etc. I'd buy a dressing table and matching tallboy, bedside tables, matching lamps...

THIS would be my new bedlinen, i've been eyeing it off for a while, but I can't justify buying it for our terrible old bed. http://www.linenhouse.com.au/lhsummerbe ... nID=sultan

I'd make better use of the window that we have in the bedroom, framing it properly with curtains, atm there is one big heavy curtain covering it due to headlights catching it at night...

Gosh how I want that bedlinen!
karen
Site Admin

Post by karen » Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:31 pm

Oooh that is pretty. I don't have show-quality bedroom, but even when we've been dead broke we've had good sheets. Not necessarily expensive, or "the finest", but nice- soft, pretty sheets (although one time I did splurge on 1000 thread count Egyptian cotton ones from eBay...honestly I like t-shirt sheets better- the Egyptian cotton ones were stiff and heavy after I washed them). There's nothing like waking up surrounded by great linens to make you feel a little bit like a princess- even if you're waking up in room with 70's wood paneling (not the cool kind- the ugly kind). I got our last bed set on eBay and it was surprisingly nice.

If we were redecorating I'd remodel the kitchen. That and the bathroom are the only 2 rooms we didn't change much when we moved-in, and I'm really missing a gas stove, and i long for more counter space. I made it workable with a stainless steel table from Ikea (cheap), but I'd love to rip out a wall, and add an island.
"If it doesn't keep me up at night- it's not worth doing"- Ina Garten
zeebs

Post by zeebs » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:10 pm

I'd turn my kitchen into a Tiki bar.

That is all.

Too bad my home is a rental... :)
darkhairedgirl

Post by darkhairedgirl » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:55 pm

I'd re-do my bedroom, too. It's pretty, but kind of bland. We need curtains on our windows- right now we just have cheap-o miniblinds, and since our window is so big, there's 3 sets on them. :oops: Our dresser is the one I grew up with- just painted it white to make it fit in. It's not bad, still usable, but could definitely use an upgrade! My side of the bed doesn't have a nightstand, either, so my clock sits on the floor. I'd love to get a new mattress (I'm drooling over the Select Comfort ones, those are amazing!), new nightstands, new dresser, and maybe a new duvet cover. I have the jersey sheets (t-shirt sheets that Karen mentioned) and I loooove them. They're so soft, and I got them for only $20. :)
Oh and did I mention our closet has no door... lol!
Cheece

Post by Cheece » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:09 pm

karen wrote:Oooh that is pretty. I don't have show-quality bedroom, but even when we've been dead broke we've had good sheets. Not necessarily expensive, or "the finest", but nice- soft, pretty sheets (although one time I did splurge on 1000 thread count Egyptian cotton ones from eBay...honestly I like t-shirt sheets better- the Egyptian cotton ones were stiff and heavy after I washed them). There's nothing like waking up surrounded by great linens to make you feel a little bit like a princess- even if you're waking up in room with 70's wood paneling (not the cool kind- the ugly kind). I got our last bed set on eBay and it was surprisingly nice.

If we were redecorating I'd remodel the kitchen. That and the bathroom are the only 2 rooms we didn't change much when we moved-in, and I'm really missing a gas stove, and i long for more counter space. I made it workable with a stainless steel table from Ikea (cheap), but I'd love to rip out a wall, and add an island.
For 2 years I lived by myself - and thoroughly enjoyed the opportunity to be as girly as I wanted. *My* set is in the cupboard at the moment...because well...I think my boyfriend feels emasculated by it, lol. This is part of the reason why I want to redecorate...I can't have my beautiful pink set (I ended up with all the matching cushions too, lol), so I need something equally as pretty without being...pink. This is a snippet of a photo, for you to get an idea of the pink, and the prettiness ;) We do still use the sheets, because they are a parchment colour, and so divine to sleep on.

JenW

Post by JenW » Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:15 pm

Hmmmmm......I am thinking my bedroom and bathroom....they are the only rooms in the house that still have the beige walls painted by the builders....12 years later. I did get new sheets and a new quilt. It is amazing just what a small change can do.
Your Silk Naturals Forum Cruise Director!
1Olive:14 Ivory
Faves-
Lips: Maiden & Nectar
Eyes: Phantom, Linen, & Fusion + Tarnish
Skincare: BHA & Awesome Sauce
Email a pic for foundation help: colorquestions dot silkmakeup at gmail dot com
egerandi

Post by egerandi » Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:14 pm

The bedroom! Too bad I constantly feel that I won't be in this loft for a long time, and would hate to spend all that money and time just to get it redone again, back to blah... but then again, this is our 4th year. And yes, high thread count, always :)