Fragrance free products

This is the Silk Naturals suggestion box!
Post your color requests, and other wishes here.
Pushpa

Fragrance free products

Post by Pushpa » Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:33 pm

Hi Karen,

I love your products but unfortunately have just joined a company that has a fragrance free requirement as the owner is allergic to petrochemicals. It seems that many SN products I used, such as the conditioning washes, facial moisturizers, etc. irritated his symptoms and now I can no longer use them. It might be nice to have some fragrance free options for others with allergies or very sensitive skin. Is the "fragrance" you use in the conditioners natural??

Thanks!!

Pushpa
karen
Site Admin

Re: Fragrance free products

Post by karen » Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:38 pm

The only items we make with fragrances are the cleansing conditioners, body wash, and the fragrances. They mostly use phthalate free fragrance oils, and a few essential oils.

We don't use any petrochemicals, and none of the facial moisturizers, or serums have any fragrance in them.
"If it doesn't keep me up at night- it's not worth doing"- Ina Garten
shiny

Post by shiny » Sun Oct 26, 2014 3:21 am

Synthetic fragrances are made from petrochemicals even if the carrier oils they're in are natural. If the ingredient label says contains "Fragrance," "Fragrance oil," "Perfume" or the like, the scent is made from petrochemicals and can cause neurological reactions in sensitive people- IIRC that's about 12% of the population.

I sympathize with Pushpa's boss. Synthetic fragrance chemicals give me neurological reactions and sometimes trigger my asthma. Makes it really hard to go out in public or have friends over because they never realize how "scented" they are :-(

But essential oils are OK, even if it's a scent I don't particularly care for. Would it be possible to use natural essential oils instead of synthetic fragrance oils?
naughtykittens

Post by naughtykittens » Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:20 am

I'm also super-sensitive to a lot of synthetic fragrances. Thanks, Karen, for listing the few SN items that have them! I'm so glad that most SN products are fragrance-free or only use essential oils. <3