Luxe vs Velocity

Here's a chance to ask makeup mavens about color selection! You can easily add your picture to posts, and get help with all of your specific makeup questions.
Annika

Luxe vs Velocity

Post by Annika » Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:40 pm

I have Velocity and can't say enough how much I adore it - it is everything I wanted EDM's Ginger Peach to be that it never was; a very shimmery, very complex peachy-gold color that doesn't turn orange. It is beautiful on its own, or I like to wear it with Sonic and Sunlit Bark (which happens to be the perfect brown for me, not too red nor too ashy but a beautiful golden brown).

Ever since I found SN I've been eyeing Luxe. I'm just wondering how similar it is to Velocity? From the swatches I think they look quite similar only that Luxe is darker. Are they different enough that I need both? Is Luxe as shimmery in real life as it looks on the swatch (that would be awesome)? Do you think Luxe would be a good color on me?
1 Olive : 14 Ivory (original) + a smidge of Buttery Gold
Rhys

Re: Luxe vs Velocity

Post by Rhys » Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:34 pm

I think it would. I'm too cool-toned to wear Luxe (it's A Very Warm Shade), but I can get away with a little Velocity as a highlight - and I agree, it's a very pretty colour. Luxe is warmer and a little bit darker, but also quite shimmery - and if you have the colouring, they'd probably make a great pair.
Annika

Post by Annika » Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:26 am

Thanks!
superwahz

Post by superwahz » Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:50 pm

Annika- Did you ever get Luxe?? I've been eyeing it for a while and recently got a sample of Velocity (which I love!). How does it compare to the other warmer colors you wear on your eyes? I saw you wearing Halo as a eye color so tried it and really, really like it!! :D
Taking joy in living is a woman's best cosmetic. ~Rosalind Russell
Annika

Post by Annika » Sat Jul 10, 2010 5:18 pm

No, haven't gotten Luxe yet. :( I have Posh and Chic on the way, can't live without Sunlit Bark and Highbeam, but apart from those I don't really have any warmer shades from SN. Soiree becomes almost silvery on me, which isn't too bad but not really what I expected. I am definitely going to get Luxe at some point though as many SN shadows seem to be on the cooler side, at least for my coloring, and given that it is described as a Very Warm color I think it'll be awesome :)
Annika

Post by Annika » Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:45 am

Not sure if this will be the answer to your question but Posh and Chic are both very nice colors on me. Chic is quite similar to Sunlit Bark but SB is more sheer and shimmery whereas Chic has the satin pearl finish and is more shiny in comparison. All three are gorgeous warm golden browns that are neither too yellow, too red or too dark. Many browns turn muddy on me but these don't.
Velocity is more peachy than these colors and Halo is definitely more yellow. They all go very well with each other.
superwahz

Post by superwahz » Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:19 pm

Annika wrote:Not sure if this will be the answer to your question but Posh and Chic are both very nice colors on me. Chic is quite similar to Sunlit Bark but SB is more sheer and shimmery whereas Chic has the satin pearl finish and is more shiny in comparison. All three are gorgeous warm golden browns that are neither too yellow, too red or too dark. Many browns turn muddy on me but these don't.
Velocity is more peachy than these colors and Halo is definitely more yellow. They all go very well with each other.
Oh, that is very good to know Annika, thank you!! Velocity on me just looks gold, like Sonic. Haven't tried either Posh, Chic, or Sunlit Bark but I may now... I love the satiny pearl finish. Of course, I love the sparkles too, but something about the pearl finish makes shimmer lay a bit better on my eyelid.

Browns either look grey on me, muddy, or red. Sometimes I use that to my advantage (like, for instance, I use Slate as my "grey" if I want one), but mostly I shy away from them because they rarely ever come off looking right. Which is funny, because I have a lot of blue in my eye color, so makeup counter people always want to put brown e/s on them and it never quite looks right! :P

I know you like warm shadows, have you tried Legend? Not sure how it would look on you since it's more copper penny sort of warm and I notice for a certain subset of true golden skin those shades come off looking "pink" instead of "copper".

ETA: Had a look at Posh on the site and in the swatches it looks really close to Honey, which I have and love! I'm betting Honey is a touch more yellow/gold, if you really like Posh you'd probably love it!
Taking joy in living is a woman's best cosmetic. ~Rosalind Russell
Annika

Post by Annika » Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:52 am

I made a couple of arm swatches:
Left to right: 3 day weekend (EDM), Velocity, Radiant, Harvest, Posh, Chic, Sunlit Bark, Quartzite.

Sunlit Bark looks dull and boring in this swatch but I always foil it which brings out the golden sparkles. In the swatches I used SN eye primer but applying the shadows wet really makes them stand out.

3 day weekend looks bright orange on my lids. It's better than Comfy though which was downright awful and made my eye color disappear altogether. I have to be really careful with coppery shades which is why I have stayed away from Legend. Do you have it?

I think that because I have no pink in my skin coppery shades look very orange. Radiant works for me but looks almost pink! Pink is better than orange though.

Orbit and Meteor are two colors that I still don't own because I am afraid that they will be too orange but something tells me that I will own them sooner or later... :roll:

Thanks for the Honey suggestion, I had a look and it looks like a beautiful neutral shade!
lilychemgirl

Post by lilychemgirl » Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:23 am

Wow, velocity looks soooo pretty!
I have the same trouble with coppery colours, the look awful on me. Same with anything for lips that leans coppery, it just looks 80s and nasty. I think you have a similar foundation mix to me LaC? I am 1:11 olive:ivory.
I think I'd better add velocity to my wishlist!
Mineral makeup addict, Mama to three amazing girls, loving wife to Tom ♥
Annika

Post by Annika » Fri Jul 23, 2010 5:20 am

I did a very simple look today using Harvest and Patina, after being reminded of how lovely Harvest is when I did the swatch.
... and then because it was fun and I also couldn't stop thinking about how much I love Velocity, I wiped it all off and created a similar look with different colors: