Test product review

Post your favorite tips and tricks, FOTD's, and swap foundation recipes!
carro

Re: Test product review

Post by carro » Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:04 am

Just received my package and are excited to try them all tomorrow. Have way too much makeup on right now to put anything ontop. But I have some questions about the sticke em primer:
How are You supposed to use it? Aply on lids with fingers or brush? Let it dry before putting on the eyeshadows or aply them while the primer is still wet?
If You want to use it as a foiling medium for lining, do you mix some primer with eyeshadow to a wet consistency and then line with brush?

I just opened the new creamy eyeliner and it fell out in my palm like a little brown cookie :o , so it is definitly harder than the old ones that I do find a bit hard as well. But I will be back for my review when I acctually have tried it!
I think that why I find the regular creamy eyeliner a bit too hard, is because I´m used to liquid eyeliners and because my skin is quite dry. Sometimes I have added a tiny amount of oil on the pencil and mixed (not in pot) with some liner and that has made the application a lot softer and easier but a little bit sheerer.

I´ll be back! :)
JenW

Post by JenW » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:22 am

carro,
People use the primer both ways....wet would be more like foiling. I usually let mine dry a bit before applying eyeshadow. You can put it on with your fingers or a brush. I use my fingers.

For the eyeliner, it might need to be warmed up a little before you use it (can I ask where you are located? Is it cold there?) Put the "cookie" back in the pod and put the whole thing in your pocket for a while. It ill go on the brush a little easier.
Your Silk Naturals Forum Cruise Director!
1Olive:14 Ivory
Faves-
Lips: Maiden & Nectar
Eyes: Phantom, Linen, & Fusion + Tarnish
Skincare: BHA & Awesome Sauce
Email a pic for foundation help: colorquestions dot silkmakeup at gmail dot com
LT16

Post by LT16 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:35 am

Carro - mine fell off in my palm too! LOL When I used the brush to swipe some product onto the brush, the whole cream liner "cookie" kept swiveling back and forth in the pod. I do like the color of Asphalt but I find the cream liner to be a bit hard in consistency. I prefer a creamier liner. Not so much when you dip your brush in, the brush totally dips into the liner, but something that I don't need to push so hard into to get product onto the brush.

I'll test it more to see though....
cait

Post by cait » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:23 pm

My cream liner pod fell out as well. I was having issues getting the container open initially and when I got it, it flew out at me! :lol:

I took some pics for a review of these because I like pics when I read a review.

I am a lover of the previous cream liners. I really love Film Noir especially. Asphalt is a beautiful color. The liner is too hard and definitely not as creamy as the other ones I have. I had to really dig in the product, and it was not nearly as pigmented as I'm used to with SN cream liners. I did have to work it to get enough color for me whereas with, say, Film Noir, I barely have to tap my brush in it.

Here's my eye look today at 5:00 A.M. I am wearing:

-a pale gold shimmery e/s as a wash
-a tiny bit of beige matte shadow in outer v
-a shimmery highlight
-Film Noir in waterlines
-Asphalt top and bottom lash line (top was very minimal application)

I only used the primer, nothing else underneath my shadows. I apologize--I probably shouldn't have worn contacts today too! It's buggin' out! My eyes are too dry this spring.

So, I only did a one color wash and some liner. My eyelids are moderately oily. I wouldn't classify them as an oil slick, but UDPP is my favorite primer.

Here are my lunchtime pics:

It's pretty much faded except on closest to my upper lash line. I will most likely have to use UDPP underneath it. I am much happier with this version's (4) consistency, and the shadows don't apply as patchy as they were for me with version 2 (unless matte--I won't use this under a matte eyeshadow). The shadows apply pretty smoothly, and they do pop, but it's more of an enhancer for me than a primer. I have issues with mattes and this primer. Mattes seem to 'ball up' and don't look right colorwise.

I do hope this helps some!
Xarata

Post by Xarata » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:48 pm

Primer v4 is the closest to v1 so far. It doesn't dry TOO fast and keeps shadows vibrant, but I just put it on so can't comment on durability or wash off.

The creamliner is great to me. I haven't had a problem with these new ones being hard- maybe my bathroom is warmer than everyone else's? I use an angled bamboo liner, swirl and apply. It goes on smoothly, is creamy, and works on the waterline really well which the current ones never did for me.
As you can see, I swirled my brush in circles on the surface and the brush is amply coated for lining.
As you can see, I swirled my brush in circles on the surface and the brush is amply coated for lining.
Asphalt.JPG (201.52 KiB) Viewed 3191 times
Samantha
"Are you a master of your destiny or a slave to your fear..."

Can't live without colors: Highbeam, Homecoming Queen, Sassy, & Cider

http://sapphiresandstilettos.blogspot.com
http://xarataproject.blogspot.com
Cupcake

Post by Cupcake » Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:08 pm

I got the gumball Asphalt liner today, too. Having read this thread, I tried a little experiment and tested it with the four different angled liner brushes that I own.

In short, only one brush had bristles firm enough to pick up the liner (Ultimate double ended liner brush). The other brushes were just too soft to work well (ELF studio and regular liner brushes, EDM angled liner brush). Those are okay with powder liner but not cream liners. I think the formula of Asphalt is good but to get the best out of it I had to use a synthetic, short-bristled (firm) liner brush.

Other than that, it applies well, lasts well and is a good (and hard to find) smoky liner pigmented richly enough but not too dark, so it's ideal for fair skin / fair lashes without being ashy or flat in tone. It's not exciting (the beloved ones rarely are) but it is an instant must-own flattering colour (for me, anyway).
carro

Post by carro » Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:16 pm

JenW wrote:carro,
For the eyeliner, it might need to be warmed up a little before you use it (can I ask where you are located? Is it cold there?) Put the "cookie" back in the pod and put the whole thing in your pocket for a while. It ill go on the brush a little easier.
I live in Sweden and although winter seem to be very stubborn this year we have it nice and warm indoors but the humidity is pretty low.

I have tried my new things today.
The cream liner asphalt: The color is really nice if you want a subtle liner for a daytime look, but I still think the consistency is way too hard. I use SN ultimate eye liner brush but it is hard to get enough color on the brush even if I break up the surface a bit. I also don´t like to have to press the brush to the eye for it to come of. It makes it hard to draw a thin line that way.
I am wondering if the consistency on asphalt is different from Molten? The ones that have reviewed molten seem to think it´s creamier than the old cream liners so I am really puzzled!
But if every old cream liners where change to "asphalt consistency" I probably wont by any more cream liners I´m afraid.

Stick Em Primer:
I have not tried any of the other versions, only the other SN primer (but I cannot find it on the main site, is it gone??? :o ) So I compare those two.

It is harder with stick em, to see where you put it cause it doesn´t lighten the lids any.
I let it dry a bit before applying. The colors really stick to it but I think it was harder to "move them around" - to blend and smoke compaired to the old primer I have. The colors kind of stayed where I put them. Stick em gave a nice pop to the colors and has not creased on me. The old one can sometimes crease a little by the end of the day.
I really feel like the two different primers are completely two different products, and I like em both! I think I prefer the the old one better when I want to lighten the lids, use some matte colors, or when I want to do a quick blend of colors.
But I think I would prefer stick em when I want a popping effect and to use with shadows with more sparkle/glitter since the sticky quality makes it better for that purpose.

(Love the other stuff I bought this time, but I didn´t get any more test products, so I don´t review them here. But I must say that dait bait is the perfect blush for me, it looks wonderful with berry crush for a nice natural but pretty look :D !)
Ladybug914

Post by Ladybug914 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:57 pm

I have now tried both Molten and Asphalt in the new cream liners and I really like them. I used the narrow, angled liner end of Ultimate eye shadow brush (I believe that is what it is called, I bought it from SN), and had no problem picking up product just by swirling the brush around on the product. It applied smoothly, and, with just a touch of Perfecting Powder, it has good lasting power. Of the two, I prefer the color of Asphalt.

Oh, and I do think I like v4 of the Stick-em better than v3. I need to spend a little more time with both to give more description as to why I am preferring the one over the other.
lilychemgirl

Post by lilychemgirl » Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:51 pm

It's interesting, I didn't find the asphalt hard at all, no harder than my old film noir, although a different consistency (kind of crumbly, whereas my film noir is creamier? That could be because film noir is matte though). I think I prefer the old formula, but not to the extent that I wouldn't buy the new. It is also hard to compare because asphalt is a lot lighter than film noir, so I am not sure what is differences in application caused by the shimmer/shade and what is due to the new formula. I tried it with a couple of liner brushes, and had no difficulty applying enough to the brush, and it went on fine, although not quite as smoothly as film noir I think.

I have the v2 stick em primer, and I had no problems with that coming out of the container. Compared to that, v4 seems runnier to apply (therefore takes a bit longer to dry) and maybe makes the colours a bit more vibrant - I can't really tell. As far as wear, it seems to wear similarly, but then I don't really get much creasing anyway.

It might make a bit of difference that I am in NZ late summer, so it is reasonably warm here. I don't know how the asphalt liner would feel in midwinter.
Mineral makeup addict, Mama to three amazing girls, loving wife to Tom ♥
Cupcake

Post by Cupcake » Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:26 pm

Tried the v4 primer. Tiny bit of tingling initially but only lasted a few seconds (applied on top of foundation on eyelids). Applied to both lids. Put shadow on one while still tacky and to the other once it was completely dry (I got called away to the phone in between eyelids!). On both, the colour (Adorn) has lasted all day and has remained vibrant. The interference blue sheen is still there and hasn't diminished at all.

I've no problem with v2 other than once getting a little clumping when applying shadow whilst the primer was too wet. On that occasion, it darkened the shadow a little. No problem with v4 but will be a little cautious incase that tingling keeps happening - early days yet. I'm happy with both.