Test product review

Post your favorite tips and tricks, FOTD's, and swap foundation recipes!
karen
Site Admin

Re: Test product review

Post by karen » Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:25 am

Thank you all so much for taking the time to post! The new cream liner is a touch firmer, but when I was doing the initial fiddling with it I did make a pure black and test it side by side with Film Noir. Asphalt may not have been the ideal color for the test because it is a bit lighter, and is more mica based rather than oxide based, but it was so pretty I went with it.

For me, it was just maybe a teensy bit firmer, but I got a lot more lasting out of it. I wore it in a sauna, and it came out fine. Which is admittedly sort of a brutal test, but I wanted to see what could happen in the Summer with it. I did only test it with SN brushes though- it's really good info to know about the other brushes.

Cait- were you using a pressed shadow with the primer?

Initially with Version 1 I was hesitant to call it a primer- I was shooting for an adhesive, something to pop the colors, but not really willing to go so far as to call it an actual primer. That version did seem to work rather nicely- if the silica that I used in that was still available it'd be live on the site now. But alas, it needed a reformulation- aaargh. Manufacturers have been discontinuing a lot these days...the last thing I want to do is reformulate. I take tons of time getting it right, and then to have to redo all of that work is just not fun- for me, or for you.

I like Version 4. I'm rather proud of it, and I'm proud of the ingredients. It's 100% naturally derived ingredients, and I think I have the packaging worked out nicely too.

So, barring anything truly odd we'll most likely release it. It may not be the absolute ideal formula for absolutely everyone (there never is one formula of anything that suits everyone), but if we can get a good knowledge base of info, at least we can market it with integrity, and not raise anyone's expectations too high.

I'd love to keep getting data and feedback on everything- it's really helpful stuff!

Thank you all for taking the time to post!!!!!
"If it doesn't keep me up at night- it's not worth doing"- Ina Garten
carro

Post by carro » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:06 am

karen wrote:Thank you all so much for taking the time to post! The new cream liner is a touch firmer, but when I was doing the initial fiddling with it I did make a pure black and test it side by side with Film Noir. Asphalt may not have been the ideal color for the test because it is a bit lighter, and is more mica based rather than oxide based, but it was so pretty I went with it.

For me, it was just maybe a teensy bit firmer, but I got a lot more lasting out of it. I wore it in a sauna, and it came out fine. Which is admittedly sort of a brutal test, but I wanted to see what could happen in the Summer with it. I did only test it with SN brushes though- it's really good info to know about the other brushes.
When I tried asphalt I did use a SN brush; the ultimate eye liner brush. It says you can use it with your Cream Eye Liners, but maybe I need the Synthetic Bamboo Angled Liner Brush for it to work better?
cait

Post by cait » Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:23 pm

Karen--I've only used mineral shadows with it so far. The one in the pic was a shade from Sassy Minerals.

I've been wearing V.4 over my UDPP, and it's much better. I get no creasing by using my regular primer, and I still get the pop with your primer. I guess my lids my just be too oily for it on its own! :D
SouthernGal

Post by SouthernGal » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:12 pm

I don't have any of the original cream liners to compare it too, but I really like Asphalt, both the color and the consistancy. The color seems to be pretty universally flattering, and I actually like the consistancy.
I've also discovered that in a pinch it will do double duty as a brow wax... :lol:
ladycattat

Post by ladycattat » Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:11 pm

Karen...do you want the review of the eye primer gumball v4 and the Asphalt liner here or on another thread?
Summer,2012
90 Medium
5 BG
5.5 yellow

HG: Sheer Zinc Powder
and Equalizer
E/S..Spellbound, Adorn, and Juiced,
Lips: Roxie,Kinetic, Fascinate, Glacier, Nice Tan

There cannot be a crisis until next week. My schedule is already full.
Henry Kissinger
karen
Site Admin

Post by karen » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:29 pm

@Laurie- Either or...this one's active, but the one that Egerandi started could work too.
@ Carro- my favorite liner brush ever is the one that's on the end of the Ultimate Eye Shadow Brush- it's just remarkable for precise lining.

I have been fiddling around with the pigment levels in the cream liners, and so far it's going well :)
Cupcake

Post by Cupcake » Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:46 pm

If it's worth knowing, I have used the v4 several times now and have not had a second occurrence of that tingle on application. Write that off as an over-sensitive eye day blip. Must've had a wee hack or graze on eyelid (happens sometimes).
karen
Site Admin

Post by karen » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:52 pm

Glad to hear that you're ok! I was a little worried about the tingle- I was wondering if it was the ethanol which will kind of sting on broken skin, or if it was something else. But yes, I know all about the "fun" of sensitive eye days.
aud

Post by aud » Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:35 am

Just received the V4 primer yesterday in the mail.

Here's a test I did on vibrancy of colours applied over the SN V4 and Fyrinnae's Pixie Epoxy. SN V4 has a lighter texture and hardly tacky at all, compared to the PE. It's a plus for me.

On colour vibrancy, my left eye (viewer's right) has the ES applied over PE, while my right eye (viewer's left) has the ES applied over the SN V4 primer. ES used from inner to outer were Earth, off brand ES and Loaded.

I found the SN V4 easier to use as it goes on thinly, although the colours are more intense over PE. I guess for an everyday conservative work look, I'd go for the V4, as I don't like the colours too dark nor pop too much.

Current SN foundation mix: 4 Buttery Gold: 2 Yellow Boosters: 21 Medium Ivory: 8 Original Ivory: 3 Glow
Favourite SN lippies (currently): Darling, Barcelona (Gumball), Menage
Favourite SN blushers: Carnal, Satisfied
karen
Site Admin

Post by karen » Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:44 pm

That's really good to know! If I recall correctly the PE has a bit of oil in it- it explains the super shimmer. Thanks for posting!